Evolution of rust; a bear naked Coupe De Ville.

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
AWESOME! can you explain how it was changed to come out the side?.......................Curt
Not to sure what he is on about. It may be the twin pipe exhaust manifold. I will speak to that. The bolt holes were to close to the pipe so we used a pice of tube steel and built up the mounting points. What your seeing is a exhaust flange with tube steel stand offs and washers welded op the top of the tube steel. Where you see the bolts sticking out of the sides.

Curt I think he is asking about this

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=73045&d=1412193162

Looking at engines now I really like that flatt top I may do that again

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep that's it,normally the exaust comes out the front next to the carb not out the side of the engine..............Curt

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Guys,

Looking back at the "Rat Named Ward" thread, it looks like Lab Rat used a Tecumseh engine, which I guess has an exhaust port out of the side instead of the the back like a Briggs.

Looks like the confusion started with Lab Rat posting that picture in relation to "is a 4hp briggs too large". The Tecumseh is the same size, but posting that picture did make it seem like Lab Rat had modified a briggs to have an exhaust port on the pto side, quite a stupendous feat of machining!

Gilbert

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Ok I see now its a Tecumseh. Guess I was so impressed with the twin pipes I paid little attention to the engine. Not all the Tecumseh small horizontals had the side exhaust. It was less common. Seemed to be a tiller/edger application.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ya see what I have to do to get Ward some press!?! Never should have posted to that rat rod section. Should have put it in the BTR/OldSHt section here. Thanks for making me smile. All of you.

Put Ward in the Rat section because I didn't sand or paint him, just treated the rust and ran with it. Its like hardly a sole said much or seemed to read the thread.

Just a disappointing amount of positive feed back on what proved to be one of my most fancied builds to date... save this one here I am working on.... as I can... It is killing me. Just so you know.

Now on my 4th week in a row of OT...its like.. I could buy {?} right now but would not able to {?} with it/ on it/ in it, because I have no time! :( sux.

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Ordered something from Lynn @ http://custommotoredbicycles.com/
These will fit the rear wheel that I had posted someplace above its on the bike.

10 G Gauge WORKSMAN 248mm STAINLESS…10 G Gauge WORKSMAN 248mm STAINLESS STEEL SPOKES$82.80
Item price: $2.30
Quantity: 36
Item total $82.80
Shipping and handling: loading$6.99

Like I said. Treated metal and some chrome bits... in this case 'stay' shiny spokes... Whoo Hoo.....

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
First pix Parts order arrived from custommotoredbicycles.com within a few days.

Readers pay attention when I make these statements about who I get parts from, its important for any of you wishing to repeat what I do.

Anyone can purchase directly from worksman and they will clearly tell you on the phone and it is no joke. "ALL OUR ORDERS TAKE SIX WEEKS TO PROCESS" and they ship sometime after 6 weeks and then you wait on a slow slow truck.

There is nothing wrong with this transparency and I applaud worksman for this. However, Lynn of custommotoredbicycles.com most often ships same day Selling from her inventory; not drop shipping from worksman.

Rear wheel. Used a 70mm moped hub. This smaller hub fits bicycles nicely. Problem is having no luck finding large sprockets.

Before everyone post 100 links to tretland or 1977mopeds read the first line - 70mm brakes not the 94mm like the larger AV-88.

idk if Pats adaptor is for this one or just the larger AV-88.

More problems here with the bolt fitting past the spoke where it is thick over the edge of the hole. Going to have to back each spoke out to fit the bolts through then re tighten .... if you look you can see spokes passing by the holes where the sprocket mounts.... pain why is everything a pain. No worries I have a motorized bicycle shoe horn. I use it along with a hammer on everything!

Pardon the shameless selfie but I am rather smitten with myself, the lacing went really well and this is the first set with stainless 10g spokes. In the past we have used 12g

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I needed a bigger sprocket for the tri car and I couldn't get one so I contacted Rebel Gears. They wanted the information for the spacing of the holes and the makers of the Manic Mechanic hub adapter that I had supplied that.

A phone call and my credit card info and it was on the way in less than 24 hours and the price was very reasonable. It's an option if you cant find one.

Steve.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
I needed a bigger sprocket for the tri car and I couldn't get one so I contacted Rebel Gears. They wanted the information for the spacing of the holes and the makers of the Manic Mechanic hub adapter that I had supplied that.

A phone call and my credit card info and it was on the way in less than 24 hours and the price was very reasonable. It's an option if you cant find one.

Steve.
It may come to that. I have not contacted Pat yet. But I am looking for a larger sprocket solution for this hub. I am un aware of manic mechanic hub adaptor making anything that will fit a moped hub. Looks like it will require a phone call or email to ask.

Really like the width of this small hub it fits bicycles with out frame modifications

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Got any farm supply stores in your area? They’ll often have a good selection of inexpensive gears for weld on hubs.

Just drill to your needed bolt pattern...

-Kirk
W@W Wow! What an awesome build you have there in your signature file. Anyone reading this click Mr. B sig file see the pix. Its off the hook!

Inspirational your build. Builds like yours are what motivated me to do 'mo better'