Another Genisis Onyx build/ my take

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I've been trying to decide on what bike to get to start my new build since my old bike frame has cracked. I will be going back to that bike and making modifications to the frame at some point, which will take care of the crack issue. It is a steel frame, so I plan to stretch it and lower it at some point, but for my current build, I bought a Genisis 29 on Craigslist for $100.

The first pic is how the bike was set up when I bought it. It was funny. The guy was probably the same height as me, 6'2" and he had the bars way up because he said he wanted to "Look like a gangster!" which is hilarious, because he was at least as redneck as me! Probably listens to all of the new "Country" music.

Any way, the next pic is of the bike after I "fitted it" to my preferences for this build. It has an adjustable stem, so I lowered it as much as possible. Flipped and cut the handlebars shorter by 4" on either side. Lowered the seat and moved it back as far as possible. "De-stickered it" as another builder said about this same bike recently. Next step will be to dismantle the bike and rebuild it correctly greasing the bearings as I go. And it desperately needs brakes!

The next pic gives you an idea of where I am going with this build. The tank is an old Yamaha dirt bike tank. I think 1.5 gallons. That seat is similar to the one that will be on the bike, and the layback seat post there is too small for this bike, but give the impression anyway.

Attachments

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I am having second thoughts about this platform.
I will have to change out the stock rear sprocket or front chain ring or both. This thing is way too hard to pedal stock. I would hate to pedal it after adding 40 lbs to it! That is not why I am considering it, I am just wondering if I would be better platform to start on a 26" cruiser instead. I am finding that there are almost no after market parts that fit this frame. Almost everything about it is oversized. The tires (obviously), but also the handle bars, and seat post just to get started have larger diameters.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm flip flopping right now.
I just went for a ride on it with no motor for the first time (besides around the yard) and it rides nice. Still needs easier gearing though. My legs are tired and I only rode about 1 mile. I can't believe a big box store puts such tough gearing on this bike.
If I can figure out a good solution to a front suspension I will go ahead with this bike.

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I just bought a saddle for the bike.
It is a Rideable Replicas Hairpin style saddle.
I think I am going forward with this bike. I just have a feeling it will end up being a really cool ride. I also have a feeling it is going to cost me a lot more than I initially thought (always true).

My thought is to to black and copper on this bike. I want to copper plate any part I can and paint the rest black. I looked up how to do copper plating, and it is not that hard to do.
I think that gas tank would look awesome in copper!

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
So I got the bike seat in.
It is comfortable.
I wish I could figure out a way to make it sit further back without moving it up, but with the large 29" wheels, if I get a laid back seat post, I will have to raise the seat.
I'm 6'2", so while I would like to keep the low mean look of the seat, moving back from the handlebars and back from the pedals would help me out.
Any ideas?

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
...Or, and just another thought, a motorcycle like seat that "steps up" to the rear. Like for a passenger but being sort of "Z" or step shaped, would rise above rear wheel. Instead of the rear/higher seat being for a passenger, would actually be your normal ridding position.

Would take a lot of fab work, though.