Quick barebone 212 first ride

GoldenMotor.com

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I got some time on Friday morning to test ride the bike.
BIke was a barebone and unfinished.

No throttle cable hook up, only the throttle lever was hooked up. No brake, and no idler from the clutch to the first shaft. Despite the chain being loose, it was doing just fine at low speed test ride (off idle). Final drive ration is 9.68 on a 17" moped wheel/tire combo. Which is around 11.55 drive ration on 26" wheel/tire combo.

Vid of quick check before ride

I don't have vid of the actual ride yet.

ANyhow, off idle the bike had a pretty smooth take off to about 10mph and maintain 10mph nicely. No vibration were felt on the seat. Pulling the throttle lever and it accelerate up pretty quick. And since I have no brake, i would hit the kill switch and engage/disengage the clutch for engine braking. And bump start the engine while rolling did great too.

Thanks culvercityclassic for all the advice on fixing the vibration issued. I was mainly concern with the seat vibration. and all you advices fixed it.

After test ride, I also did another check to see if anything was loose. Well I'm happy that I only lost a choke lever for the test ride though..

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Had another ride today with throttle cable and brake hooked up. Went for a high speed run and WOW can it pull. I think i need a bigger jet on it since it's I can only run it with the choke at 3/4. I'm happy to say that nothing came loose. Even with the chain from the clutch a little loose, it handle it just fine. I don't know if I want to put an idler/tensioner on it just yet.

Last edited:

magna_503

Apr 13, 2009
Portland, OR
Carb tuning on the bike, and lowered gearing from 9.68 to 10.18. Bike went vertical on take off. Me rolling on the pavement. Lol. No gas on take off next time. Might have to raise the gearing to around 8.5 - 9 to keep the front wheel down.. LoL.