WHAT..... Another 29er build!

GoldenMotor.com

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
Thats a nice looking bike!
I think I am going to take a page out of your book and start with the same frame. I will be going another rout with style, but not because I don't like yours. My preference is low slung and fast (looking) haha.laff

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
Oh Yeah.... I been riding it all over, it runs good and handles GREAT! The speed with the larger 48 tooth sprocket on the 29 inch bike is about the same as a stock 44 tooth on a 26 inch bike. I almost wish I had gone with even a larger sprocket as I am looking for pulling power and not so much top end speed. I want to pull hills! I'm going to do some performance mods once the engine is broke in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You've done well, Badlands. You need to be proud of that bike.

You've heard it before but just to repeat our usual warnings about fenders and chain tensioners. Keep a close eye on both. You don't want any mishaps to mess up that pretty bike, or you.
Thanks for sharing this build with us.

Tom

placidscene

Apr 1, 2012
Austin, TX
I haven't had any experience with fenders yet, but on the tensioner, my preference is to just get rid of it and make the chain the right length, that is if it will clear the chain stay.

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
You've done well, Badlands. You need to be proud of that bike.

You've heard it before but just to repeat our usual warnings about fenders and chain tensioners. Keep a close eye on both. You don't want any mishaps to mess up that pretty bike, or you.
Thanks for sharing this build with us.

Tom
Thanks for the good words!
I'm keeping and eye on the fenders and I did put larger washers on the bolts in order to give it a more solid mount, then used Loctite, but I'm thinking of speed wiring the fenders as well as an added safety measure. I do check the fenders before each ride though I know it won't help if it breaks in the middle of a ride. I'm to old to be bouncing off the asphalt these days.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Word of advice. Get some new tires. 28x2.35 fits perfectly. I went with big apples with racegaurd bt they were expensive. If you keep the stock tires the most you'll ever get out of a china girl is 27 mph. The people who make tires do all kinds of work to figure out things like "roll resistance" at different psi and their work really helps us out.

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
Oh yes, and listen to 2door abot fenders. I kept mine on all of my onyxs but I made sure to add safegaurds in case the stock bracket failed (one actually has). So yeah, make sure you add some safegaurds, for the front I added two peices of paracord, and two zip ties. For the back I used two metal strips with little holes and lock tited them to the fender. It is difficult but safety should be priority number one.

Badlands

Aug 19, 2014
Northwest
Oh yes, and listen to 2door abot fenders. I kept mine on all of my onyxs but I made sure to add safegaurds in case the stock bracket failed (one actually has). So yeah, make sure you add some safegaurds, for the front I added two peices of paracord, and two zip ties. For the back I used two metal strips with little holes and lock tited them to the fender. It is difficult but safety should be priority number one.
I did indeed listen and added some speed wire to the fenders in case of bracket failure.