My first build, Schwinn legacy 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

Josef

May 8, 2014
St. Louis
Hello

My name is Josef, for my first post I'd like to share my first build. I'm using an inexpensive Schwinn legacy as my frame, the bike was a bad fit for me peddling five miles to work every day plus I've always wanted to convert a bike to engine power. The engine is a 66cc stinger which I got mildly used from a friends mountain bike. It runs well but at the moment it throws the chain no matter how well I align it. Currently I have no tensioner as the chain is actually a good fit, perhaps somebody could help me out because I am considering getting a #41 chain but iI'm not sure if that would help.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
How is the sprocket mounted to the real wheel? Is it a rag joint or a sprocket adapter? Is the sprocket warped? Also check the sprocket on the engine to make sure it is not damaged....

Josef

May 8, 2014
St. Louis
The sprocket is the standard one that came with the kit so it uses those rubber doughnuts with the metal plates behind it. Neither sprocket is warped, I think the rear sprocket may need to come out slightly, the problem only occurs once power is applied although it does seem a bit strained while pedaling too. I was thinking of adding an additional spacer to the rear sprocket and using a #41 chain which I am told is slightly more forgiving.

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
The sprocket is beveled, ensure that you have it beveled the right way to align the chain.
ALSO over tightening the chain will make it very difficult to pedal. Ideal is to have a tiny bit of slack in it, will roll much smoother

Josef

May 8, 2014
St. Louis
Thank you for the suggestion, at the moment the chain has about 3/4" of slack. By bevel I am assuming you mean how the sprocket has a sort of "inside or outside"? If so I have it set up face outwards.

Josef

May 8, 2014
St. Louis
Just a quick update: I took the bike out for its maiden voyage (properly this time) and all was well until a few minutes later when it threw the chain. I noticed that it had gained about 1/2" of slack after the ride. Is this usually due to the wheel nuts slipping, or does the stock chain stretch with use?

BonusParts

Nov 28, 2012
SE-PA
Just a quick update: I took the bike out for its maiden voyage (properly this time) and all was well until a few minutes later when it threw the chain. I noticed that it had gained about 1/2" of slack after the ride. Is this usually due to the wheel nuts slipping, or does the stock chain stretch with use?
The chain will stretch - but only so far.

I haven't had my axle move yet.

how is your chain aligned and tensioned?

Josef

May 8, 2014
St. Louis
Thank you, I've actually corrected the chain alignment and am running without a tensioner. The Bike has about 40 miles on it now and runs smooth, at the moment the gas tank is awaiting a JB weld repair where the bolts are welded on.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
JB weld is unlikely to repair the tank for long, if it works at all.
Better to replace it if you don't have the know how to PROPERLY braze or TIG weld it.
A gas tank is a bomb if not properly prepared for welding so I ALWAYS suggest you find someone competent or just buy a new one.