Better air filter

GoldenMotor.com

BoardTrackBomber

Nov 4, 2013
OK
I know there are some companies out there making some better airfilters for our CG's, but has anyone run something like say a crankcase breather from the parts stores?

I'm also pondering making a filter out of a tin can of the same size and putting some kind of wire mesh or foam inside of that.

No matter what I do, when I have the stock airfilter assembly installed on the bike, the thing has no top end at all, none. Take the airfilter off and it screams though....

I've been running without a filter for a while and so far it doesn't seem to cause any problems, but I'd like to retrofit some kind of a large free flowing automotive or lawnmower filter so that I can have enough airflow for topend and still some filtration.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I have seen air cleaner housings made from the end of a beer can. Drill the screw holes and stuff in a foam element.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Easy for you to say. freakin thousand miles away. I got 2 bikes using this set-up both are 35mph bikes. The point here is to be creative and enjoy the bikes. Home spun mods are fun. where's your sense of humor.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
OK I am laughing now lol.:)

I used the likes of a old small food can drilled out and fitted to the carb with just three plys of panty nylon stocking zip tied and streached on. Got 45 MPH and great power all around from stop and go for better than 6000 miles.

Prolly have to rejet the carb to run that other style.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I'm running the briggs filters on two motors and it works just fine. Several times the filter area of the stock filter, very low restriction, and cool tin looks.
No rejetting needed if you're in the ball park....

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Memphis must be a lower elevation over there? At 6000 foot over here tried every filter and homade silencer contraption I could think of and it always robbed power for me .

Did come up with a conception of a slincer. Still stopped using it however. More power abroad proved to be with out it.

My 49cc Morini 10 plus Hp engine would never make it to the likes of 12,000 rpms very well. With out leaning my carb for less oxygen it four stroked mad crazy! Was trying to blow the motor out. Way less power was developed from it that way at every turn of rpm.

At 15,000 miles did a tear down still had cross hatches upon the entire bore. I used a large K&N filter on a 21mm carby in the long run. ''19mm had less power'' Just that suddle change in air availibility made a substancial differance. IME. That 19mm carby was jetted leaner too. Jets did not swap over to the larger carb..

That Morini and 300+ pound load could do as well as 55mph but only in the dead of winter here with my gearing. Air is more dense at such temps compare to say July.

The Happy time of course ported it out everywhere I could pull it off. Port matched in every way. Felt like no port work was done . Just was differant for me. When air got slowed down it was ''less power''

I know that filter will work . Did it myself. Can work just fine . It will be less noise for sure. Fine tune for it, quiet perfect. Have run that way myself. Peacefull cruiser for shure. Not for what I expect from a ''racing performance application'' for what I have come to expect over time anyway.

We had stock china motors as fast as 46ish mph. Only pulled it off with a 19mm carby tho. Just the elevation here I guess shrug.

Shoot I want a friggin turbo. Man I mean bad! Be so cool. Just not on a two smoke lowls.

Need valving for that...

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
A great way to check filter restriction is to pucker your lips to it and blow on it. Suddle differences are observable.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Here's another fitted on my daily driver. I used the ball end of an old microphone instead of the sink drain inside the "velocity stack" hehe. I'm 65 ft above sea level here running NT's with pocket bike pipes and middle position clips with 64 jets. Stock mufflers run well with mid position stock 70 jets. I really don't believe there is any performance advantage/disadvantage here. Just tinkering.

Attachments

BoardTrackBomber

Nov 4, 2013
OK
These are some pretty bit©hin' ideas for filters.

I made one from a vienna sausage can stuffed with a generic briggs open cell foam element that I cut down into a circular shape.

The vibrations caused the can to crack (very thin aluminum) so I'm going to try to find another can that is steel, hopefully that will hold up to the vibes and not crack.

I've also been toying with the idea of some kind of elbow that bends around and faces forward in effect creating a "ram air" setup. Anyone had similar thoughts on this???

For now, I'm back to running W/O an air filter, it doesn't seem to be of any serious detriment to the engine, and besides, I can just throw a new piston and/or rings in it every few months very easily and cheaply.

spyne27

May 20, 2015
California
The round mini solar charged lawn lights' outer casing is a perfect match for the carbs filter side. Modified the black plastic gasket that screws on to carb before filter, then mounted lawn light casing to that with some adhesive & elec tape (for now anyway). Screened the open end with a boom box wire mesh speaker cover and added filter filler inside for good measure. Mounted it all using stock cdi screws. all stuff sitting round the house. Nothing special. But now my bike screams! had to post on account of the casing and carb fitting so well. for what its worth. Post pics as soon as I get a new phone....or can borrow my teen daughters.......Lol....like THATS gonna happen anytime soon :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Last edited: