Keystone Flyer

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Quick update on the Keystone. I need one solid uninterrupted day and I could finish it. Anyway, here it is almost ready to ride. Plenty of starter clearence and all the chains fit and aligned.

Keystone Flyer by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Closeup of the exhaust pipe. Still needs muffler insert and rear mount strap.

Here's something new. A different style handlebar. Less like an Indian and more like the vintage Harley. Simple and effective. 7/8" .120 wall DOM with an aggressive center knurl machined on so they won't ever budge. Cut very narrow for the high speed tuck!

Closeup of the seat. Smaller cut with extra thick padding.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
This is like stopping by to see how a friends build is doing and catching up on the latest build information. Exceptional as always. Hope you find the day to finish it since I would imagine they are as rare as can be.

Steve.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
This is like stopping by to see how a friends build is doing and catching up on the latest build information. Exceptional as always. Hope you find the day to finish it since I would imagine they are as rare as can be.

Steve.
Drop by any time. I'll have a cold beer in the fridge with your name on it!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Fired the Keystone Flyer up today for the first time. Not sure how to upload video so here is a link so you guys can hear it run.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sportsmanflyer/14609356523/

It fired right up and settled in to a nice idle. These bigger carbs I have been using seem to be perfect right out of the box. This engine has a made in the USA billet steel stroker crank and I was hoping for a smooth running engine. I was not disappointed! Run it in for awhile on the stand then took it out for some test miles. Once I felt everything was good I spun it up and quickly hit 63 mph then backed off. That was 8500 rpm! Pulled clean to red line so carb settings are good. This thing is smooth, fast, and powerful. Couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
Been meaning to update this thread. The bike is basically finished. We had five bikes prepared to run Bonneville Speed Week this year. Huge investment of resources to get bikes ready and make the 12 hour haul to the salt and once we arrived we found the salt flats COMPLETELY underwater. It was a lake. Huge rain storm right before the event then the runoff from the surrounding area just filled the place up. We had no warning of the conditions.

Here is what we found.

BONNEVILLE SPEED WEEK 2014 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
We did take a few pictures on the "Bonneville Mud Flats", about the only dry area we could find. This area is about a foot or so higher than the salt and is a combination of mud, dirt, and salt.

Here is a picture of my Keystone Flyer in full race trim with nowhere to run it.

One bike is missing from this lineup. We were ready to run in three different classes with 175cc and 250cc machines and had hopes of 78-86 mph. One bike was even tanked up to run alcohol, a first for us. Oh well, maybe next time!

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Here is a picture of Rich's alcohol burner. The only alcohol consumed on this trip was a few cold ones! This is a 175cc machine.

Bill and Garrick's machine. A beautifully prepared 175cc running on gas. You should have heard this engine. Talk about crisp and finely tuned! It had all kinds of cool race gadgets bolted on.

We may be smiling for the picture, but your looking at a few unhappy guys.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
So sorry to hear this. Will it be postponed and run later?
SB
Hi Silverbear,
The SCTA may reschedule the event. Depends on weather. Last report was the salt flats are still knee deep in water. If we can't run this year it looks like we would have to wait till next year. A lot happens in a year. I may have new designs by then, making this bike last years model.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
As some of you know Bonneville Speed Week was canceled due to rain. The SCTA had then rescheduled Speed Week to run concurrently with The World Finals, which was scheduled to begin this Saturday September 27th. We were leaving for Bonneville tomorrow, that is until more recent rain forced another cancellation. I found out Monday. Looks like were done this year. Such a bummer. We put together a huge effort to field four bikes between three teams only to be denied the chance to run due to mother nature. I was very confident of an 86 mph or better record in my 250cc class, and the other bikes looked to be solid contenders as well. Oh well, there is always next year........

I guess this is now last years bike.