Sportsman Flyer Bonneville 2014

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
We have made a few changes to Bonneville Flyer chassis #3 in preparation for running the salt this year. This was originally a street bike and did not have the various bits necessary to pass SCTA tech inspection. It's been torn down, updated, and now is being reassembled. Seems a shame to take a fresh painted machine into the harsh environment of Bonneville, but a race bike is a race bike. Besides, you only live once!

Here are the various major components.

Bonneville Flyer #3 by Sportsman Flyer, on Flickr

Handlebars, seat, and seat brackets.

Last edited:

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
Hey SB,

Glad to see you back on board, the new porting job working out OK?

As for the speed, hopefully it will run just slightly slower than my bike! Which to be competitive in the 175 class now has to be over 80 MPH.

Rich

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Good grief... 80 mph! I can't imagine. 35 on one of my bikes feels fast. I don't go 80 in my truck.

As for me, thank you for your good wishes. Yes, I've been both ported and polished... the works. Actually, I could use a new head.
SB

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
My brother and I appreciate all the support. Like most of us I had heard of the Bonneville Salt Flats and had some idea of the history of land speed racing, but I had NEVER expected to be actually racing out there some day, let alone setting some records. As far as running 80 mph on the salt, well, if it felt like I was totally risking my life doing this I wouldn't do it. I will admit it is intimidating lining up and taking your turn. It's also quite exhilarating once under way. The rules are designed to help keep us safe and with the tires, wheels, and safety equipment employed, a run down the salt is very stable. We fought hard to be allowed to race and we have been seriously challenged on our legality. All that is behind us now so it's time to build some race bikes!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
May the spirit of Burt Munro be with you. By the way, along with some other medications from my recent heart work I got a wee bottle of nitro jut like Burt had in The World's Fastest Indian. If you need a couple for the gas tanks, let me know... ha!
SB

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
I’ve heard the salt creates a certain amount of drag...

Have you even taken your bike full bore on a nice paved surface, and if so how much faster is it?

Good luck on the flats this year!

-Kirk

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Good luck Pat, I know you and your brother were frustrated with the performance of the bikes and the rules last year I'm glade everything worked out. I hope you and your brother break many more records. I was the guy with the two board track racers that visited you in the pits.

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
We had quite a few visitors and last year was a busy year with three bikes, but I think I remember you swinging thru. There are so many cool people that stop by, we even adopted a Brit who crewed with us the entire week.

Hopefully, 2014 will be a little less busy, if your back again this year, be sure to stop by.

Good luck Pat, I know you and your brother were frustrated with the performance of the bikes and the rules last year I'm glade everything worked out. I hope you and your brother break many more records. I was the guy with the two board track racers that visited you in the pits.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Oil tank/toolbox added. It actually contains the oil catch can inside. One hose connects to the valve cover breather and the second vents to the ground. Any oil mist that may escape the engine will get captured by the can. I try to keep these engines below 8000 rpm. Above that and oil control becomes an issue. If I gear the bike perfectly to the conditions it physically will not push past 8 grand and oil control will not be a problem.