I made a huffy newport

GoldenMotor.com

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
And man was it a pain. The people at QC Huffy are bad. I had to re-true both rims one rim had about a half inch of wobble out of the box. Oh yeah I had it delivered new. The brakes they sent me must have been an after-thought because they weren't thought out well, I had to remove a lot of paint from the rims to get em to stop squeeling. Some of the fender mounts were also either stripped or cross threaded out of the box.

Other than those things, I opted to reinforce the fenders, I added two metal supports that I JB welded about 3 inches either way the length of the inside each of the rims. I re-greased all the bearings with hi temp grease. I also rear mounted the gas tank because I thought it looked like a bug.

So far the bike rides well. It's a cool commuter for the summer.

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Good looking cruiser! I'm digging the shape of the frame and the black on black wheels. The gas line looks a little awkward imo, have you thought about reversing the tank? The fuel line would be shorter and it would disappear under the seat making it look even shorter. Maybe even paint the cap black.
Overall, two thumbs up :)

Dan.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Yeah, I had to remove the paint from my wheel also ---- it was eating brake pads like a fat lady at a buffet.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Brake pads should be adjusted so that the part towards the front of the bike contacts the rims first. If the rear parts hit first you get brake squeal and more wear. On some of these caliper brakes that may require bending the arms holding the pads just a little.

Very nice looking build, though.