Breaking spokes?

GoldenMotor.com

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Hi all, new here, posted in the intro just this morning and now I need help. I have a Genesis Astra 29er. Love the looks but am starting to think it is the wrong bike to motorize. I purchased already built because 1, I did not know anything, 2. Loved the looks, and 3. I could get it right away. I knew I would need more power and have ordered a new motor for that. I new I would need new brakes and am or was, researching.

What I did not know was that all the spokes were gonna break. Sheesh, I just have the weak china motor now, think there will be big problems when the stronger motor shows up.

My question is this, how to proceed? Can I get heavy duty spokes and replaced them? Do spokes come in standard sizes? Can I find a heavy duty, assemled wheel on the net? I really like the black deep vee wheels even though they are powder coated and make the brakes sound like a haunted house. That was gonna be todays project, getting the PC off the friction area. Now I don't know what to do.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

I should add that 9 spokes have broken in the last two days. All the rest seem loose. Do you think the bike was not setup correctly? Spokes not tightened correctly at delivery? Or are these just the wrong wheels for motor biking?

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Rear wheel. Fred @ CR Machine built me a motor. USPS sent an email that it is ON THE WAY... So I need to do something quick. ( I have no patience).

I only have one pic, it is when I was bringing her home last week. I will see if I can post it.

Thanks for any help.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You still didn't say which wheel, or both, that you're breaking spokes on.

If the rear and you have a sprocket adapter, is it tight or loose and slipping so that the force is being applied to the spokes as opposed to the hub?
Are the rims true and spokes tightened properly?

Post a better photo of the bike with a close up of that drive chain/tensioner/rear sprocket. Something doesn't look right with the tensioner and chain but it's hard to tell from that picture.

Take a close look at those fenders, especially that long sweep rear one, and do some reading here about the hazards they can present on a motorized bike. (Voice of experience talking)

Tom

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Thanks 2 Door.

It is the rear wheel. That is the only pic I have so far.

That sounds like a great idea. I will go and check that now. If thats the problem and I fix it, do you think the wheels will hold up? I do not know much about any of this but the spokes seem really skinny. I will measure them and compare to other bikes in the garage.

Thanks again.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Take the sprocket adapter off and have a bike shop respoke the wheel with heavier spokes.
or buy a better wheel if it is about the same price.

Might not want to mention that it is off a motorized bike unless you have a
motor friendly bike shop.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Wow, you are awesome. That was it, sprocket adapter is wobbly as heck.

The spokes appear about half as thick in diameter as the ebike. I will go to a bike shop and see about getting some spokes.

I go to two bike shops. The one for the ebikes hates gas and won;t even let me bring it in, says gas smell makes him sick. My motor bike shop guy does not do spokes. So looks like I am gonna learn some more today.

Thanks...

Master-shake

Feb 24, 2013
texas
sounds to me like that back sprockect never got trued correctly I had a rear rim fall apart like that and from what I've read around here I'm not the first. the thing is, your "supposed" to have twelve gauge spokes for these china girl engines and the gx-7 has 14 gauge spokes and that exceeds any motorized kits intended use when it comes to spocket assembly. So if the sprocket is not trued to near perfection before the first ride and you factor in that your attaching a motor to a 29 inch wheel instead of a standard 26, you can almost guarantee that the synergystic effect of all those factors will combine to make spokes that are going to be put under more stress than THEIR manufacturers recommended specifications.

long story short, bikes is hard to motorize right.

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
Master you are correct. I ditched the wheels and purchased some heavy duty double wall wheels. They also have much larger spokes.

The original builder obviously had not tightend the adapter correctly but it was a blessing in disguise as that led me to a much safer set up.

This is my first bike and will have to chalk up the cost to "tuition". LOL

How about another newby question? Does any one make a pulley set to convert drive chain to v belt? seems to me that set up would be much safer, smoother, quieter and cleaner.

I did in fact get the CR Machine motor installed. I think I am going to like it. Waiting on the expansion chamber now, so wont know true performance for a few days.

I will post some picks when done.

Thanks again to all for the help. This is a lot of fun and look forward to trying some of the oether tips I have picked up from members here.