Huffy Good Vibrations Build or simply my first bike build :)

GoldenMotor.com

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Good thread, Danschutz.

You're clearly doing just fine on 'engineering' your build.

Plus your photos are good and your posts are informative. I would have told dodge dude much of the same things. But you beat me to it.

Once he finds those Roadmaster shocks, exactly what I have on my Huffy cruiser, he'll be real happy with the results. He shouldn't have a hard time, those things are a dime a dozen.
Thanks BGW,
Honestly Im flying by the seat of my pants, or pedaling with bare feet :) One thing I already love about these motorized bikes is it has me back into bikes after more than 35 years!

I rode bikes all the time when I was a kid and then onto motocross/crotch rockets until I was around 40 then promised the wife I would quit riding before I hurt myself lol. So with this new hobby I can meld some pedal bike and 2 stroke together. Also I use to race AutoX and track for years racing in Wyoming, Colorado, South Dakota and Washington state then the local club after 30 years just up and died off and I slowly let that passion go. Me and my buddy want to try and gather up some folks and set up a track with cones like a autoX course and have some racing fun. Apex is an apex in my book.

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Well....this is the running project thus far. Motor is breaking in good, at this elevation Im going to have to modify one of my jets somewhere between 62 and 64, the bike takes off good but bogs around 17 mph. And, yes, I know a wired mess lol probably last on my to do list but I will get it done. The carb is at a wild angle and could probably go about 45 degrees to keep it level. Im going to flip the intake manifold when after I drill the jet and hope that solves the situation.

The tires. In the end I will be running both the gold wheels (off a Ross Force 1) with whitewalls but Im waiting to do the rear wheel after the majority of the oil and grease slinging is done. Still need to upgrade the tubes and slime them.

Fenders will go back on, will be either chrome or black. Its getting there :)

Dan.

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Still in Break in mode. After a few rides to get her up to temp (around 200 degrees) then cool down and repeat a couple days ago, today I put 20 miles on the bike in two separate trips. After each trip I came back to the shop and checked and tightened all bolts etc.

Did a compression check at the end of the day and got 130 lbs of compression. (Tested at w.o.t.) Pulled the plug (this plug has about 22 miles on it) here it is.

Im running a SHA Clone carb with a 68 jet at over 5000 ft elevation. I went down as far as 63 (filled and drilled) and wound up at 68.

My bike stand :)

Last edited:

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Almost forgot to add that I expected the exhaust to leak a little on cool down but it hasn't.

I didn't expect to find the perfect jetting as it is still breaking in but it seems no matter which jet I have installed it still bogs right at 17 mph, a little throttle modulation keeps it in the power band to stay around 17-20 mph. I started with a 70 and I thought it was bogging from to much fuel but like I said same symptoms regardless of being lean or rich.

Almost forgot to mention (again) that I cannot get the bike to start with the choke on no matter what jet I use. Also when I thought I was running lean the motors idle was high, is this due to running lean?
Dan.

Last edited: