New 212 Predator Build - Supermoto

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
You mean the one I described? I use one way needle bearings in my projects, but never made a shaft in side another shaft. I get my bearings on ebay. They're very reasonable and reliable. Just have to make sure the shaft they ride on is precision and hard. And the bore they're pressed into also has to be precise. My two speed transmission I made uses one way bearings in two different sprockets. The driven shaft shown is just a mock up piece, as I didn't have the precision one made yet. It was made form 20mm drill rod.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yes the upper shaft represents the engine crankshaft as they turn together all the time with a little gear reduction. The lower shaft turns with the rear wheel. So when I pedal the bike (while holding the compression release lever} the lower shaft starting sprocket locks up on the shaft and turns the upper shaft and the motor until it starts. When it starts, the rpms of the engine override the starting sprag letting it idle, moving or not. So that's the starting circuit. Next to get going, I rev the motor and it turns the upper shaft which has a clutch on it inside the tranny. At a certain rpm the clutch locks up and turns a larger sprocket on the lower shaft that is mounted on a sprag (one way} bearing, and it turns the rear wheel. The upper clutch has two sprockets on it, one that is turning the low speed and the other turns another standard clutch on the lower shaft. The lower clutch just spins without locking up until a higher rpm is reached at which time it engages a high speed sprocket that overrides the low speed sprocket and shifts into high gear. It sounds very complicated but is really simple and efficient. So the bike winds out in first up to around 3800 rpms (30-35mph) and shifts into second and goes on up to 5000 rpm or so (50+mph). I was so used to having just one clutch and whatever speed I could get from the motor that when I installed the two speed tranny it's a whole new world. These old lawnmower motors are capable of a lot more than they were designed for.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes the upper shaft represents the engine crankshaft as they turn together all the time with a little gear reduction. The lower shaft turns with the rear wheel. So when I pedal the bike (while holding the compression release lever} the lower shaft starting sprocket locks up on the shaft and turns the upper shaft and the motor until it starts. When it starts, the rpms of the engine override the starting sprag letting it idle, moving or not. So that's the starting circuit. Next to get going, I rev the motor and it turns the upper shaft which has a clutch on it inside the tranny. At a certain rpm the clutch locks up and turns a larger sprocket on the lower shaft that is mounted on a sprag (one way} bearing, and it turns the rear wheel. The upper clutch has two sprockets on it, one that is turning the low speed and the other turns another standard clutch on the lower shaft. The lower clutch just spins without locking up until a higher rpm is reached at which time it engages a high speed sprocket that overrides the low speed sprocket and shifts into high gear. It sounds very complicated but is really simple and efficient. So the bike winds out in first up to around 3800 rpms (30-35mph) and shifts into second and goes on up to 5000 rpm or so (50+mph). I was so used to having just one clutch and whatever speed I could get from the motor that when I installed the two speed tranny it's a whole new world. These old lawnmower motors are capable of a lot more than they were designed for.

VERY INTRESTING looks like you have a winner there with a 2 speed.
I would like to learn more .............Curt
How about a couple picture of the other side

Last edited:

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I don't what else to tell you, curt. I didn't grasp the whole effect until it was completed and tested. There's more info about this system if you search "Rupp TT500 2 speed". It may be explained better or more understandable. But once you get it, you got it. The only thing I added to the mechanism was the pedal start, which was harder to figure out because of 2 sprag bearings. I can't stress this feature enough. If my motor dies at a stoplight or I go down at a race and kill the motor, all I have to do is pedal away like a regular bike and it starts right up. No sitting at a light pulling on a rope or watching racers fly by while I'm sitting trying to get started.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
movemachine, you showed how to install a complete motor into a compact frame without stripping it down to bare bones, and still made it look good.