fly wheel cover mod

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hey all. I intended to paint my stock plastic flywheel cover, but when I pulled it off, I saw a way to replace it. I don't know that this will hold up to the vibrations, what do you think?

1) Didn't care for this look.
2) Finished product. Truth is, I'm not crazy about this look either.
3) I used metal ducting.
4) The bottom cover bolt shows the three washers I used to make up the difference of the stock plastic cover.
5) Rough fit.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Looks like some dangerously sharp edges and an easy place to lose some fingers if you're not careful. It makes my ankles cringe a little bit.....don't fall on the right side (with or without the engine running).

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Looks like some dangerously sharp edges and an easy place to lose some fingers if you're not careful.
Oh no Scott, it's not dangerous, my recruiter told me I'm invincible. (^)

Unfortunately, I believe you are correct, this will have to be replaced.
Spray paint was why I removed the stock cover in the first place! Got the bug, so I started tinkerin and... but I like this type of look though, gonna have to figure something out.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Maybe consider adding some screening or expanded metal...
You might find something to fill it in yet keep the open look.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
I have to agree with silverbear, his cover looks much better and is much safer.......see for yourself ;)
I did, and wow! THAT'S what I think I was trying to do.
Of course I had no plan, design or idea of any kind when I did this, but saying I wanted to, relieves me of my guilt when I completely rip-off silverbears idea:)
You guys are crafty. Thanks!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
UMMMM HOT Peppers!!! My belly hurts... An Im a scared ta POOP! But I GOT ME A CAN! laff Matched it up to the HS on the Twin build. Seems perfect. Now I need my new motor. :)

Attachments

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Warning! The following example of home engineering is based solely upon a stolen idea. Silverbear is the willing victim of this thievery, and I thank him!

1) It was a tight fit, so I cut out some slots in the side of the can, just inside the new face of the flywheel cover.
2) This allows me to get a washer behind the face, to keep it spaced off the flywheel properly.
3) I decided to vent it by cutting out the face (dangerous), and drilling some holes something like the air filter (the holes are better looking in real life, but I should have taken more time on them).

Attachments

Last edited:

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
VERY COOL! I like the forward holes. Everybody should do this or something like it when they remove the stock shroud. I knew how dangerious running without one was and still managed to stick my finger in the running motor ( stopped the motor at the cost of MUCH pain and blood) I just KNEW I'd never do it but I did anyways.:-|| Are ya gonna give it a shot of paint?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Thanks man. If you look back to my first version, it was probably more dangerous than nothing at all:) I kept reminding myself not to lose a finger, but this was better, cooler, free anyway!
Yeah I'll paint it for sure, going to do a desert tan- maybe mono color, haven't really thought it through yet. Just a few more small things and it'll be time for paint though...

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Thanks man. If you look back to my first version, it was probably more dangerous than nothing at all:) I kept reminding myself not to lose a finger, but this was better, cooler, free anyway!
Yeah I'll paint it for sure, going to do a desert tan- maybe mono color, haven't really thought it through yet. Just a few more small things and it'll be time for paint though...
Look good man. I did the same mod with mine only I never actually put anything on. I just took the plastic cover off and put the starter rope plastic part back on. Worked great until my right leg forced the starter handle into the cooling fins at speed. Chewed up my plastic handle real good and broke off one of the fins. LOL