Engine i.d help please???

GoldenMotor.com

txcycle

Oct 8, 2010
southeast ,tx
I don't know if I should post this here but here goes. A buddy of mine gave me this engine . It was recently rebuilt and runs pretty darn good. Maybe briggs ? Looks to be in the 3hp size. I haven't seen any obvious numbers in the castings. He did tell me the intake and carb are off another engine . I'm planning on running it on my boardtracker . Thanks in advance!

image-2955543940.jpg

image-1258391954.jpg

image-2146000547.jpg

image-168010120.jpg

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks to me like a heavily modified older Tehcumsa. Are the silver lines on the case over the cam gear raised ridges in the casting? If so, It's an OLD one. I remember these engines as being very reliable even when abused on gokarts and minibikes. (We did some sketchy mods back then like milling heads and installing huge valves etc.)

mdlee1958

Feb 22, 2009
Fort Collins, Colorado
It looks like an old Clinton kit engine that you would get when you would sign up for their Small Engine Repair correspondence course. The reason I say that is because it appears to have the "round-butt bottom" for the crank shaft case. Very bullet proof engines, a friend of mine in high school took the course and the engine is still running to this day and that was back in 1972.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
It sure looks like a old Briggs to me. If the fins are broke you must brake the one on the opeset side to keep the balance. Did he have the flywheel cover that were the #'s are for most engines. Sure painted up nice...........Curt

txcycle

Oct 8, 2010
southeast ,tx
Good tip on the the fins Curtis! I got a recoil starter from a 70,s briggs that will work.he didn't have the flywheel cover, I've been using a old shoelace to wind and start it. I'm gonna fab up my own cover today