Zman's bike now with acetylene lighting

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
For those of you who don't know, mixing carbide with water produces acetylene gas. Same as in oxy-act welding. The flame produced is usually white very bright and the gas is very explosive. Do not play with it unless you have a good understanding of the equipment and hazards involved.
I'm sure Zman will agree.

Tom

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
@ moonerdizzle, it starts like the china girl, but it has 3 clutch discs, no centrifugal clutch !

@2door, i agree 100 %, first experiments with that stuff leave some burning marks on my kitchen's table....laff

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Zman,
That's a wonderful, authentic looking bike. The word 'eloquent' comes to mind as I give it an appreciative look. You've given it a light touch with an artist's hand. I appreciate motored bikes as a kind of rolling, functional sculpture. Not that all are. Most are not. This one is exceptional in that you have brought out the true vintage look when motor-cycles really were bicycles with motors attached. Yours doesn't need or want fatty tires or a tank that fills up the frame. And yes, the lights are just right and that brass gas tank is the cat's meow.

German engineering and German manufacturing have a well deserved reputation. Your build is a tribute to that esteemed tradition. Well done, sir!
SB

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
what's up next ?

thanks to all, i really appreciate your comments !

the build of this bike is in progress every day if i'm sitting before it on a chair by a nice cup of coffee,
listen to the music of Fletcher Henderson (or anyone else) and thinking "what could i do the next time ?"
it's a growing process over the years, like by myself.

since i've ended the season this year, the bike rests in my apartment and i plan for the wintertime a few things :
red rubber hose for the lamps ( just ordered )
a engine cutout-switch like the one in the "early motorcycles" book on page 283,
a hand-operating Klaxon horn, from the early days of motorcycling,
to made a mounting bracket for the taillight and licence-plate, look like the 1917 Rover on picture below,
to get a vintage speedometer like the Corbin of old Harley's and Indians, they where available for bicycles too, i know they are very rare and expensive !
and maybe one day a 1923 Alba engine, a real vintage bicycle engine. They are more rare than a Corbin speedometer, but as i already said, one fine day....

Attachments

Last edited: