Inspirational Pix

GoldenMotor.com

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Redditch [UK] and Reichenau [Saxony ]
Beach, do you go to the Waterman? Not been myself, although I've been past it loads.
Yes the Waterman was a regular Summer ride out. Finished last year. A combination of the loonies and overwhelming Police presence put the tin hat on it.

Rumour is that there's another pub "down the road" taking over. No details as yet.

There's the regular meet at Wythall [ just on the southern outskirts of Birmingham ] and then there's Sunday mornings at the Stratford on Avon marina.

Been to Bassetts Pole a few times, but that is too full of it's own importance. Police helicopters in attendance the last couple of times I went !

So you and I must be near neighbours Ludwig ?.crt.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
On each others' doorsteps compared to the Americans/Aussies. B37 here, just down the road from M6 J4.

I've never been to Bassetts Pole or the Waterman, frankly there are too many tits pratting about. Remember the woman who went as, for want of any other word, the audience and was killed by some out of control "stunt" (sure you'll work out the word I wanted to use) at Bassetts Pole?

And I've been past Darley Moor as they were coming out after a race meeting, lemmings, wrong side of the road on a blind rise at 100+. 2 pints of lager and they think they're Crutchlow.

halfpint

May 8, 2011
Western Australia
Is that Sammy Miller`s place you are talking about Ludwig II ? I went there a couple of years ago when I was visiting my folks in Bournmouth. Great place to spend a few hours. Also I loved to watch Sammy ride years and years ago what control he had. All the best Keith

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ludwig,
Thank you for your help. From what we could glean from the net it is indeed an A.J.S. I'll go out the to the work shop the next couple of days and get out the high powered magnifying glass and see if that helps any. It will show a lot mor detail I'm sure.

If it was a Harley Davidson or an Indian we would be awash in information but if it's British or European we're out of luck. Had a string of James and Francis Barnetts as well as a Dot scrambler that I used for hill climbing.
There was a Triumph that became a chopper until we were both attacked by a rather large maple tree after a few joyful hours in the local pub. It was to be my last bike ride.

I certainly was impressed with the New Imperial "Pistol Grip" The hight of perfection in my mind. Looked up the National Motorcycle Museum. I could be lost in there for a couple of days for sure. Thank you for telling me about them.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Beachcomber,
It's odd that both you and Ludwig live so close to Hampton in Arden. Mom was quite interested when I told her about it. Started her reminiscing about living there.

I lived in Florida in the 1980's and worked in a fibreglass shop were I was in charge of making cobra bodies that were sent to Everett Morrison a well known kit car maker. A fun job.

Enjoying the bikes and cars you are posting.

Steve.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
My mother used to be a cleaner for a Mrs Heckford, in one of those lovely rambling old houses. Mrs Heckford's face I can't remember, but she used to let us stay there for a couple of weeks a year when she went away on holidays, which was rather brave when you consider the normal effect of a family of small boys rampaging about the place.

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Beachcomber,
It's odd that both you and Ludwig live so close to Hampton in Arden. Mom was quite interested when I told her about it. Started her reminiscing about living there.

I lived in Florida in the 1980's and worked in a fibreglass shop were I was in charge of making cobra bodies that were sent to Everett Morrison a well known kit car maker. A fun job.

Enjoying the bikes and cars you are posting.

Steve.

Whooooaaa - there's ANOTHER spooky coincidence, I have spent most of my business life making COBRA, Jaguar and Porsche replicas !!

I retired in 2000 selling my moulds and jigs to a guy that was my agent in Germany. Even though I had my own business - I used to do a lot of consultancy work for Realm Engineering Ltd [ www.realmengineering.com. ] and liased with Carroll Shelby to finalise his personal endorsement of the RAM Cobra - the ONLY replica to have received Shelby's personal endorsement outside the US [ and only 1 there I think ]. I became friends with Shelby and after 5 years or so I was appointed the European Liaison Officer for his "European Transplant Trust" - set up to help underprivileged and kids to have organ transplants.

Since my retirement [ ha,ha ] I still carry out engineering design consultancy work for both the German guy and Realm. Any more coincidences from half way round the World ??

Here [ left ] shown with Carroll and the car we provided him with to use during the Innes Ireland memorial Rally [ NEC - Silverstone ]. He also used the car at Le Mans for his 35th. Anniversary celebrations doing several laps before the start of the race - with me trying to keep up in one of our RACE Cobras with a French TV cameraman aboard.

Last edited:

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
And yes, the Norton was at Miller's. Seems like it was only the other year when he was getting over enthusiastic with a Ducati and did a Superman impression over a wall into the trees. Hang on, it was only the other year....

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
hi beach

saw thunderbike at intermot in cologne a few weeks ago
sure is pretty but does look alot like a high end --as germans do--
revamp of shinya's bikes

go original ---all the way make your statement its your life's work - design

a/ok

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
hi beach

saw thunderbike at intermot in cologne a few weeks ago
sure is pretty but does look alot like a high end --as germans do--
revamp of shinya's bikes

go original ---all the way make your statement its your life's work - design

a/ok
Absolutely - I only take detail ideas from these various bikes - like the glass brake m/c reservoirs on the Blue "Phantom" bike. Rummaging around in my memory banks - I'm sure I've seen those [ or very similar ] under the bonnet of an old Jag !

The Thunderbike just looks good - no plans to copy the style.

However - NOBODY has come up with my idea to house the battery, ECU, electrics etc. to make them "disapear" , at least I've never seen it on another bike - Picture soon.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Is this going to be a 7 pint fuel tank and all the gubbins in the rest of it?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Absolutely - I only take detail ideas from these various bikes - like the glass brake m/c reservoirs on the Blue "Phantom" bike. Rummaging around in my memory banks - I'm sure I've seen those [ or very similar ] under the bonnet of an old Jag !

The Thunderbike just looks good - no plans to copy the style.

However - NOBODY has come up with my idea to house the battery, ECU, electrics etc. to make them "disapear" , at least I've never seen it on another bike - Picture soon.
DD has a good start on it half the tank hides most of his battery and stuff....
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39614
AWESOME PICTURES LOVE THEM.............MORE?.............Curt

Beachcomber

Nov 3, 2012
Is this going to be a 7 pint fuel tank and all the gubbins in the rest of it?
Coincidentally just collected it from my pal this AM. He got his guys to plasma cut a 3" strip out, as proportionally it was too tall. Originally one of the ubiquitous "2 Gallon" petrol cans. I've got several - Pratts, Shell, Shell Aviation, Redline ......... but the Pratts are too common [ !! ] and all the others had full length logos on the side that didn't lend themselves to being cropped.

The Shell logo worked out just right. The original base will become the battery tray, while all the modern electrical gubbins - ECU, relays, fuses etc. will be housed inside. I want to lose all the wiring through the frame anyway so as to keep an uncluttered look. Then I plan to put a couple of loops on the top [ side ] of the can to take a leather hold down strap - like a car bonnet strap.

I've got a selection of Brass screw caps and I'll use one on the petrol tank for the oil filler reservoir - although that facility will be defunct.Rather fancy the "Redline" version !