Am I starting right

GoldenMotor.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I'm planning on buying this bike:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Onyx-29-Cruiser-Bicycle/16203481#Specifications

have I got all the bases covered?
Whatever engine you get I would recommend getting the
29" Genesis Astra Men's Beach Cruiser Bike for only $30 more.
Has real brakes including front brake
Has gears.
Coaster brakes suck. :D

http://www.walmart.com/ip/29-Genesis-Astra-Men-s-Beach-Cruiser-Bike/20658233

Handcrafted aluminum frame
7 speeds
Shimano 7-speed rear derailleur
Linear V pull brakes
29" wheels
Aluminum hub
Alloy rims
Steel beach cruiser handlebars
Vitesse cruiser saddle
9/16" standard pedals
Weight: 36 lbs

Pinkelephant

Oct 23, 2012
Effingham, IL
Do I then need a 2 in 1 brake lever?
I was leaning towards the coaster brakes for easier braking.
I'm not buying it to pedal except to start the motor :)
I will be country cruisin on backroads in flat farmland

the other bikes I plan to do need the 2 in 1 option if thats the way to do it.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Here is the thing about coaster brakes. Some are better quality than others, for starters. Walmart is not widely known for selling bikes with high quality coaster brakes. Some will self destruct on the first ride, even without a motor. Second, a coaster brake alone is not enough for a motorized bicycle, because even a better quality one will not stop you fast enough in the event of an emergency. They also require regular servicing, which means disassembling the hub and inspecting the bearings for wear and re-greasing the entire assembly. Now, I am not totally down-talking coaster brakes, just giving you some information. I myself run a coaster brake, but I also have a front drum brake. However, there is nothing wrong with running dual v-brakes either. They will require less maintenance than a coaster brake, but you will be replacing the pads fairly often, probably at least a few times a year, maybe more often depending on how well you have them adjusted and how fast you generally go. But v-brakes are the minimum that I would consider safe on a motorized bike. The way to have both brakes on a motorized bike is to get a dual-pull brake lever, which allows you to pull both brakes with one lever. Sick Bike Parts sells a high quality dual pull lever, and they have an ad somewhere on the side of this page.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
It's a nice bike for cruising but I highly recommend having a front brake installed. My first bike only had a coaster brake. I had to Flinstone stop a couple of times because the band snapped and also had a blow out because the hub locked up and was on crutches for a few days.
Any front brake is better than no front brake. Trust me on this one.
Good luck,
Ken

Pinkelephant

Oct 23, 2012
Effingham, IL
I was thinking about the wally world bike so I could get coasters. if the dual pull handle is as good or better, I will start by converting my 2 el-cheapo mountain bikes in the basement. they are about 10 years old and have less than 5 miles on either of them.
(then the schwinn chopper)

new question.
black motors:
do they run hotter?
is there a reason not to get them?

highoctanebikes

Oct 23, 2012
canada
i built my MB on the onyx frame..im my opinion it is an awesome frame to put any motor on..but mine is a 4 stroke..the rims are super tough and will not warp on you.. you can add extra brakes if you like and I recamend you do..I gotta figure out how to put a photo up..every photo I have are way to many kb..any questions just ask

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i built my MB on the onyx frame..im my opinion it is an awesome frame to put any motor on..but mine is a 4 stroke..the rims are super tough and will not warp on you.. you can add extra brakes if you like and I recamend you do..I gotta figure out how to put a photo up..every photo I have are way to many kb..any questions just ask
Do what I do. Upload to facebook first, then re-download from there, and upload to here. Facebook automatically resizes them. Works for me every time.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Or go to your accessories then open up your paint. Upload the pic then resize it from 100 to 50 then save. That's what I do.

Pinkelephant

Oct 23, 2012
Effingham, IL
I just looked. only one of my mtn bikes has a standard frame. I have that and the chopper to convert.
I am still leaning toward the onyx with some added front disk brakes. I would rather have independent control of the front brake on wet roads or dirt

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Last edited: