Gas leaking?

GoldenMotor.com

fogell420

Oct 14, 2012
Portland Oregon
My bike is always leaking gas. I took off the gas tank, and filled it up with water and left it for a few minutes, and nothing was leaking out (so its not the gas tank or the fuel petcock). its not the carburetor either. it looks as though its leaking from the bottom of the gas tank. i feel frustrated. someone help?>:-||

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I've also had a leaky line that I thought was an overlowing float bowl for a time- so inspect that carefully too-

but yes sounds like you may have cracked the bottom of the tank tightening the bottom nuts too much

Announcer: "He's on FIRE! Aaaron's on FIRE!"

Mr. Yamamura: "Gas reaking?"-

Grand Prix 1968

Last edited:

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Check the tank.. The material they are made from is paper thin. I had a pinhole leak in one from where a cable-stay on the bike frame barely came in contact with the tank. It would take a while to show, since it was wicking along the crossbar and the bottom of the tank, which also made it trickier to track down. I used a bit of gas tank repair putty on it after it was all cleaned up and it hasn't dripped since. (I also remounted the tank a half inch farther down the crossbar, so that shouldn't happen again).

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Go to any good auto parts store and ask for a tube of Seal-Al. It's made to repair leaks like yours and is compatible with gasoline. Follow the instructions on the label.
Don't try a silicone based product or a cheap epoxy.
The best repair is to have a competent welder fix it for you. Other methods are just bandaids.

Tom

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Water also doesn't have quite the same properties as gas. The vapour from the gas will cause a slight pressurization inside the tank which can be just enough to force the gas out.

Glad to hear you found it. Work a bit of gas-tank putty in around the stud and once it sets you should be fine.