Best Beach Cruiser to Motorize

GoldenMotor.com

Babatunde

Aug 19, 2012
Santa Monica
Hey forum,
I am kind of new to the motorized bicycle world, but i am close to making my motorized bicycle. I am going to get a 4 stroke q-matic kit: http://azgrampa.wix.com/ezm-of-fh#!store
but I am not sure which kind of beach cruiser to motorize. I need it to be a three speed, and my price range is up to $350, but I am looking for a high quality men's 3 speed beach cruiser that will last a **** of a long time. I was looking at a "Micargi 26" Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Beach Cruiser Cheetha Deluxe" http://www.bennysbikestore.com/product/cheetha-nx3-m.aspx but the price tag sounds a little bit too good to be true. I need some recommendations on a high quality 3 speed beach cruiser.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
felt is a nice bike but hes looking for a cruiser i like my schwinn jaguar except it makes chain adjustments annoying because it has strait down rear wheel dropouts you want ones that pull back to adjust your chain tension. also its about how tall you are and a comfortable riding position a rear suspension complicates things because its going to pull out of alignment when you hit the throttle and engine will compress the suspension unless you use a jack shaft so itmight be better for you to start with a ridged frame and a suspension front end . what im going to order for my next build is a stretch cruiser like this http://www.cheapbeachbikes.com/product/700-1040_Firmstrong-Urban-Delux-Stretch-Cruiser

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Look no further..........http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Cruiser/Men-s-3-Spd/Bixby.aspx

There you have it!

dnut

Hey forum,
I am kind of new to the motorized bicycle world, but i am close to making my motorized bicycle. I am going to get a 4 stroke q-matic kit: http://azgrampa.wix.com/ezm-of-fh#!store
but I am not sure which kind of beach cruiser to motorize. I need it to be a three speed, and my price range is up to $350, but I am looking for a high quality men's 3 speed beach cruiser that will last a **** of a long time. I was looking at a "Micargi 26" Shimano Nexus 3 Speed Beach Cruiser Cheetha Deluxe" http://www.bennysbikestore.com/product/cheetha-nx3-m.aspx but the price tag sounds a little bit too good to be true. I need some recommendations on a high quality 3 speed beach cruiser.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I found what was left of a Jaguar a while ago.
I liked it- had TWO V brakes. Do not get anything less for brakes. Your life depends on it. For some reason cruiser bikes with wimpy coaster brakes are a big hit. But they are not OK for the speeds we go.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Agreed. I usually argue that power is your friend much more so than brakes, but that only works at modern motorcycle HP levels. Our 49cc or so motors wont squirt you out of a lethal situation; So ya; go with really good brakes. I kept the coaster out back on my Felt build, but added a 90mm Sturmey drum in front. Works great. Clean too.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Personally, having no rear brake works better than a coaster brake for me......seriously. A strong front brake is essential on any motorized bicycle and a good rear brake to accompany the front is a very good idea as well. You best not go fast if ya can't stop fast.......period.

brnot

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
scotto's felt has proven itself time and time again. and he has put on a very good brake setup. that dyno is a very good start and if you look at jeff's CCC you can see how well they work. norm at venice motor bikes uses 1903's and enough said. take a look at the race bike's and you'll see what works. i'd call venice and ask. velodrome has a very good eye for the right stuff. dennis

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Hey forum,
Heres a Cheetha done up by a member. I remember seeing this when I first started doing research on vintage builds. Its AWSOME! IMHO. The original pics are gone from the thread but I found some in a related mag article http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=30668 ParadoX used a 2 stroke but I think it would look even better as a 4 stroke! I think if you used a chain tensioner that isnt fix'd in one position you would reduce to almost nothing the chain tension issues. Have a look at my tensioner in the Phoenix Felt Twin thread. Long arm; long spring, and a skateboard wheel modified in a lathe.

Attachments

Last edited:

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
people who dis the coasterbrake never had a good one
Coaster brakes work great on the old Schwinn stingrays, I find them to be rather dangerous on a motorized bike that has some power. What is a "good" coaster brake......shimano? Sturmey? Suntour, Hi-Stop, joytech, Sugino?

They are all pretty much the same and I would not recommend using one unless there is no other choice for what ever reason......

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Don't totally rule out vintage frames like Schwinn, Huffy and Murray. They're strong and always available, usually reasonably priced. Baird uses a lot of Colson and other vintage frames with good success. I know it's hard to fine one with all the desirable components, but gathering parts and building is so much fun.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
This might not be the best,but it rides great.

I only have the frame and seat from the origanal bike. It now has a front disc brake and no rear brake. I agree with scotto. If the coasterbrake was still on there I would have gotten rid of the bike and quit this obsession already.

Attachments

Babatunde

Aug 19, 2012
Santa Monica
Well i live in the Santa Monica/Venice area and there are a lot of hills, so I was thinking it would nice to not always have to rely on the motor part on a steep hill and be able to change to a lower gear. That 2002 Felt 1903 Cruiser is so effing beautiful though, I might have just changed my mind. I completely agree that good brakes are compulsory, can someone shoot a couple names out? Money is NOT a variable here, I am willing to spend on good brakes. ^^But Scotto, are you saying you only have a front brake and not a back break? And Velodrome, my definition of cruiser? Hmmm, I would say a bike really built for paved roads, something that with a motor will not hug every crack and bump in a street. If I got a 2002 Felt 1903 Cruiser, my choice would be putting this kit on: http://azgrampa.wix.com/ezm-of-fh#!store
and I would probably upgrade the brakes to V brakes, from professor's recommendation, or even higher quality brakes if they're out there. My mother is only letting me ride (I'm 16) if the bike (machine) is as safe as it can possibly be. Thanks for all of the info guys!

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
^^But Scotto, are you saying you only have a front brake and not a back break?My mother is only letting me ride (I'm 16) if the bike (machine) is as safe as it can possibly be. Thanks for all of the info guys!
Well now that you mention it, yes, on one of my bikes....the 49cc daily rider 4-stroke. It has no brake on the rear now as I removed it due to it's uselessness.....it was a band brake.

But on the front it has a mechanical disc brake with a 185mm rotor and a set of v-brakes which both are operated with a single (double pull and cables) lever.

I can stop on a dime no prob with this set-up.

My 212cc race bike is another story....it has a hydraulic front disc with a 185mm rotor and a mechanical disc on the jackshaft with a 4" home made rotor and between the 2 is plenty of stopping power for this 100lb. machine.

.wee.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I run a Shimano clone coaster rear hub on a double-walled steel rim with 12g spokes, and a Worksman front drum with 11g spokes. I run these on a Huffy Cranbrook ($75 at Walmart) with a 66cc 2 stroke that has been hauling my 280lb A$$ around for 2 years. I only recently aquired the Worksman front drum, but it has pretty decent stopping power for routine stops. When the drum doesn't slow me down quite in time, I barely touch my coaster brake and I stop on a dime. My top speed is around 30. I have been getting more used to squeezing the front brake harder because drums require more pulling force than other brakes, and the problem of not stopping in time is becoming less and less. I find that the people who use v-brakes and discs tend to view coaster and drums as inferior, but they can be just as effective if used properly. Coasters and drums are resistant to the elements, and you will change far more sets of pads than I will change of shoes. Disc brakes do have the superior stopping power. Front and rear discs will stop faster than even front and rear drums, probably. The truth is, every brake setup has its advantages and disadvantages. As long as you are able to stop before smashing into something or someone, it is mostly a matter of personal preference.