Primary drive...

GoldenMotor.com

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Well I am sitting here and thinking about the primary drive on my Huffy build. Which would be better and maybe easier to build without spending a boat load? I don't know how well a belt drive would work with a tension pulley setup instead of a centrifuge clutch. Then there is the chain drive with a centrifuge clutch.

What are the pluses for each and the down fall for each? I know from the jack shaft to the rear wheel it will be a chain drive.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Well, the first bikes used a huge rear pulley and a small engine pulley. An idler pulley pushed up on the lower run of the belt right near the engine pulley and that was the "clutch". It worked well back then and it works well on all sorts of machinery today, especially lawn tractors.
Technology evolved and chains and real clutches came into use and have never left, still in use nearly 100 years later.
How do you want your bike to look and operate? Olde timey, or modern?

Belt plus: stone simple easy maintenance and long lifespan. No oil or grease needed...ever. Very tolerant of moderate pulley misalignment (not recommended though, keep 'em aligned, ok?)
Belt minus: finding a looong belt at a reasonable price and they also can slip when wet.

Modern systems plus: no slipping with a chain and easier to find.
Modern system minus: chain maintenance, gear box grease or oil maintenance.
Sprocket alignment and tooth wear. Sometimes bulky primary reduction systems.

I am sure that there are many more things to add to these lists, but that's just a quick-n-dirty listing.

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Well, the first bikes used a huge rear pulley and a small engine pulley. An idler pulley pushed up on the lower run of the belt right near the engine pulley and that was the "clutch". It worked well back then and it works well on all sorts of machinery today, especially lawn tractors.
Technology evolved and chains and real clutches came into use and have never left, still in use nearly 100 years later.
How do you want your bike to look and operate? Olde timey, or modern?

Belt plus: stone simple easy maintenance and long lifespan. No oil or grease needed...ever. Very tolerant of moderate pulley misalignment (not recommended though, keep 'em aligned, ok?)
Belt minus: finding a looong belt at a reasonable price and they also can slip when wet.

Modern systems plus: no slipping with a chain and easier to find.
Modern system minus: chain maintenance, gear box grease or oil maintenance.
Sprocket alignment and tooth wear. Sometimes bulky primary reduction systems.

I am sure that there are many more things to add to these lists, but that's just a quick-n-dirty listing.
I like the idea of simple and old time looks. I will have a chain final drive.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
Would it be like this...

Yes, exactly, except be sure that the idler is on ths side of the belt returning to the engine for best results. You will also need belt rest pins or plated at strategic points where they will support the slackened belt to help keep it from resting on the engine pulley. Look at how it's done on mower deck belt engagement system for ideas.
You can sorts see what i'm talking about in this close-up of my 2 speed belt tranny.
DSC_1637.JPG

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Thanks Wayne.
The pictures are in the fist part of the show. I think I still have your email I will send you a couple of shots................Curt