spilling gas

GoldenMotor.com

KANNONBALL13

Apr 10, 2012
Loveland Colorado
This is my issue and this is what I think it is......
I had someone lay my bicycle down yesterday, and today it would not fire. the carb and air filter are dripping gas now. I have a CNS, and i took the plug out and it was saturated in gas.
This is what I have done.....
-taken the spark plug out and wiped it off, left it out to have gas evaporate out of the engin.
-took off the air filter and let it dry out..
-emptied fuel out.
this is what I think....
It had nothing to do with the carb, and everything to do with the wet plug. the fuel backed up because it was not being used, and so on. Am I thinking this out correctly?
thanks-joe

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Not unusual for a carb to flood out an engine when the bike is laid down. Have learned this the hard way last month at 12,000 feet when I rolled a snowmobile and took 20 minutes to get the engine deflooded and started again.

On HT engines, pull the spark plug and put a rag or some paper towels over the plug hole and turn engine over to get all of the fuel out of it. Dry plug, reinstall, and restart. Don't forget to dry out the air filter too.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'd agree with the above.
Drain what's left in the tank, turn the bike upside down, and turn the motor over, slowly, easily, with the plug out, to be assured the crankcase is not full of fuel.
there could even be fuel in the timing cover and clutch cover if the seals are wimpy and a full tank of fuel got into the crank.
More than anything, just take it ez when you try to start it. Liquid lock can bend a rod or mangle a piston if you are too heavy handed with it.
It'll probably be ok, though.
rc

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
the float is stuck.
this is very common, even with the cns carbs.
any time you lay the bike down or flip it over, the float will get stuck causing the needle & seat to get stuck open, allowing fuel to flow into the carb bowl without stopping.
once it floods over, the fuel will go into the crankcase, and out the back of the carb. too much fuel in the crankcase isn't a good thing.
when you try to start it, all that extra fuel just soaks the plug, and it won't run.