F_Rod's HF99 BTR

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I really like the new look. (reminds me of a couple I've seen somewhere) :) The tank and bars really set it off nicely.

Now all we need is a break from the arctic blast we've had for a few days.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Really nice looking bike. I'm partial to the blacked out look and as far as the scratches go I'd leave them unless it might lead to structural weakness. Character, patina, whatever you want to call it the bike looks like it's ridden not just looking pretty. My two cents for what it's worth!

Thephx1911

Dec 9, 2012
Re: F_Rod's Winter Build

So I took it out for a test ride and got about 4 blocks before the chain torqued the sprocket out of alignment, so I had to fix it roadside and then I went back home after that. I got home and come to find out that the rag joint was the problem. I could not for the life of me figure out where the misalignment was coming from so I ditched the rag joint and ordered the proper setup.

I'm guess you can say that I'm the impatient type, I paid $20 for the 2day express shipping and got my hub adapter and sprocket today :D. It installed in less then 10 minutes and it corrected the problem right out of the box. Now that I own one and have ridden and felt the difference, a hub adapter is an absolute must if you ask me.
Me I am Disabled with nerve damage in both legs so pedaling with the standard sprocket setup is to hard for me. I found on ebay at boy go fast & one Another eBay store a Double freewheel hub bike sprocket one side motor on the Other I just it's 36 hole 14ga spoke I laced it to a Double wall aluminum hoop it will Except Single or Multi speed cassettes. $38.00 (very nice build ) just sold mine starting on a sifter mountain bike soon will post picks with the hub I have one but waiting on rim back ordered 2 weeks.

Thephx1911

Dec 9, 2012
Me I am disabled nerve damage in both legs so pedaling with the stock sprocket set up tears me up. My last build I found on one ebay site & BGF know has them two sided freewheel hub with 36 tooth motor sprocket & it will Except a single speed or multi speed cassette on the pedal side so to get no motor drag at all $38.00 I'm starting a shifter Mountain bike build next week it will have this setup will post pics. You can see the hub on BGF on ebay it works great. (Very nice build clean Detail)

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
It took a little bit for the wheels to get here but they are finally here. I can't wait to put them on the bike. I'll post some pics when they are on... dance1

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Okay, so the wheels are on and looking better then I imagined. However, I have a problem! I have the pirate cycles hub adapter. I tried and tried all the ways; I cannot put the adapter into place without forcing it into the spokes or seriously modifying the adapter itself. I am a little disappointed about this because these kind of issues need to be present on the website for customers to know before hand. Pirate cycles needs to acknowledge this issue and let it be known; so someone else don't experience this on their own like I did. Nothing against Sportsman, Pat is the man. Now I'll be ordering an adapter from Pat which I should have done from the beginning.

Note: The design of the PC hub adapter wasn't made to be used in conjunction with the Worksman rear wheel. It may work with other HD rear wheels, but it is not plug and play for the Worksman wheel.

The front wheel is beautiful, can't wait to ride it with the new wheels.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank,
I'm not understanding the problem. Are you saying the adapter won't go between the spokes to get it on the hub or is it interfering with spokes/spacing. I'm sure you're aware that the Pirate adapter will not work on a 32 spoke rim. Is the rim 36 spoke?

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Frank,
I'm not understanding the problem. Are you saying the adapter won't go between the spokes to get it on the hub or is it interfering with spokes/spacing. I'm sure you're aware that the Pirate adapter will not work on a 32 spoke rim. Is the rim 36 spoke?

Tom
Hi Tom,

How are things going on that side of town? Your answer is in your own question. It's a 36 spoke wheel; it sits on the hub perfectly. The spokes are big and spacing is tight to fit the adapter through though. The pirate cycles adapter has more of a cone shape machining to the fasteners, compared to the sportsman flyer adapter which has straight type fastener. Pirate's adapter is a thicker 2 piece and Pats adapter is a 3 piece designed a little slimmer.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I would simply remove a spoke or two to allow the hub adapter to fit inside, then button the wheel back up after.

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
With a little patience and a few beers I was able to get the adapter in between the spokes. I used my grinder on the sprocket fasteners and took a little more then a 1/16" off, in a "V" shape making it easier to slide between the spokes. It is on perfectly and there isn't much if any extra tension on the spokes; which is good. We'll see how it holds up for now, if it does well then I'll keep it if not then I may still opt for the Sportsman adapter.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Frank,
If you have access to a bench buffer that Pirate adapter and the sprocket will polish up to look like chrome. Looks good. I'll see it this spring, no doubt. We can both show off our new builds :) Drop by anytime. I'm usually in the garage working.

Tom

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Feedback is what fuels the fire. My next project for this bike is a permanent battery powered headlight. I have everything on paper, I just need to buy the parts and make it all come together. Keep tabs with this thread...

WightBoy

Aug 30, 2012
Michigan, USA
Nice build, I see you are using the worksman drum with the disc adapter on your forks. How is that working for you? Could you take a few pics from different angles?

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
nice build to tell the truth Im not a fan of the look of 4 strokes on bikes but yours looks very good one of the best looking 4 strokes Ive seen.