Engine Will Not Turn Over

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Original poster is Openscreen who has a compression problem, and I think 2door nailed it in the beginning with the hydraulic lock. I guarantee you that he DOESN'T have a clutch problem.

Syates had a clutch problem and he is solved.
Yah, no wonder I was confused... It's kinda hard to follow a thread and help someone when it's going in two different directions....

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
I am printing out the posts now so i can get a handle on everything that has been sent. Then I'll eliminate what does not apply to my engine and what's left will be my "repair manual". I just plan to try every thing, whether it makes sense to me or not. In the past ideas that seemd totally bird-brained ended up being the solutin to my problem - another way of saying these engines are pretty much a mystery to me. I'll let you know how things are going.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
OK, good luck.
Let me boil down quickly some basic response to your initial post....
When a motor is new it turns over really easy, after it has been ridden and the rings seat on the piston the compression builds and it becomes harder to turn over. So you may not have any problem at all, it might just be this increase of compression you are feeling. Make sure you have enough speed going when you pop the clutch to turn her over, going very slow with high compression sometimes wont do it.
Make sure your carb isn't leaking or letting in extra fuel into the cylinder when it is sitting, if there is liquid fuel in the cylinder during compression stroke you will have a hard time Turning her over because liquid doesn't compress.....

Last edited:

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
Thanks, nightcruiser. That makes it all pretty easy to understand.
In sorting through the posts, I came across one in which you wrote, "Now I can lift the rear wheel and start my bike with the pedal like a kick start!" To me that seems like finding the holy grail of motorbiking! Gimme, gimme. Exactly how did you tune your carb?

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Thanks, nightcruiser. That makes it all pretty easy to understand.
In sorting through the posts, I came across one in which you wrote, "Now I can lift the rear wheel and start my bike with the pedal like a kick start!" To me that seems like finding the holy grail of motorbiking! Gimme, gimme. Exactly how did you tune your carb?
With all the time past and confusion in the thread I dont recall what carb you have? It makes a difference, because the NT carb only has one jet and a choke on the air filter, and the CNS carb has 3 jets and no choke on the air filter....
Here is a link to the thread I posted about tuning my CNS carb....

http://motorbicycling.com/f4/cns-carb-working-great-32736.html

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
Thanks 2door and nightcruiser. Gotta admit I was pretty doubtful about this whole compression idea - I mean, how could the compression change so dramatically from one ride to the next? And sure enough, I stomped on the pedals a bit harder and it stated right up. Now to the next issue, getting it to idle. Thanks again!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I took the clutch apart down to the pads, took all the pads out and cleaned the whole clutch making sure not to get cleaner on the gears and then reassembled the clutch. Tightined the flower nut and put the. Cover back on. I also flipped the pads Around cuz they were kind worn but still good. Make sure you use brake and parts cleaner though. After that it fired right up with few pedals. Check out video
how to fix a sliping cluch on your 80/66cc bike engine kit - YouTube
Syates did you watch the video I posted for you , or did you find it elsewhere? Also Sorry If I caused any confusion Openscreen. I was directing my posts to Syates. & his issue, Again I hope I didn't cause any confusion!!

openscreen

Oct 1, 2011
Oregon
Hey, Jumpa. A little confusion, due mostly to the fact that confusion is the inevitable result of my trying to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. No problem though.