Great spark no gas

GoldenMotor.com

Ghost926

Jul 26, 2011
Cen Cal
Well I will order that new seal and maybe a few other gaskets to go along with that. Ive had nothing but problems with this motor do to poor assembly. Is there a website or video that shows step by step assembly/disassembly? I have no experience and would hate to screw anything up.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well I will order that new seal and maybe a few other gaskets to go along with that. Ive had nothing but problems with this motor do to poor assembly. Is there a website or video that shows step by step assembly/disassembly? I have no experience and would hate to screw anything up.
This is a quote from 2Door.
I should do a tutorial on this. It's been asked so many times before, but here goes.

First mark the magneto rotor (magnet) so you put it back on the same way. Remove the center nut and remove the rotor. This is where it gets sticky. There is a woodruff key that sometimes rocks and binds in the keyway making getting the rotor off hard. Ace Hardware sells a faucet handle puller that works perfect for removing the rotor. What you don't want to do is pry too hard on it with screwdrivers. The crankshaft is small in diamter at that point, about 5/16", and can be bent by unequal lateral force.

After the rotor is off, pick out the old seal with a seal pick or a small diameter tool. Clean the seal bore, lubricate the new seal and the shaft and drive the seal in to the bottom of the bore with a seal driver or a socket of the appropriate size.
Reinstall the rotor and coil and you're good. The coil might or might not be salvagable. It might be so oil soaked that it is shorted. New coils are available at most vendors who sell bike engines and parts. Good luck.
Tom
And another from Norm. http://motorbicycling.com/f39/bicycle-engine-tear-down-391.html

Ghost926

Jul 26, 2011
Cen Cal
Well I decided to put the clutch cover back on to act as a seal to see if it was indeed the crankcase engine seal and it sputtered back to life with a limp and got it to run with little power. So I will order a new one. Thank you guys for your troubleshooting skills, and I learned stuff for future reference. Is there a tutorial for replacing seals so I don't screw anything up?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The seal is pretty easy to get out. I do like to put a light layer of plain ol bearing grease on the seal's lip to lube it when its new by then the oil/gas mix in the crank case does the job.

A fair sharpened scribe tool poked into the seal can work or a modified old screw driver is among my favorite ''flat head small''.. I mean its perfectly OK to destroy the old seal just don't gouge the engine casing it rests into or the crank! That has to seal good later as well.

Pry at the crank side to an angle it will flip right out. Its petty easy. If ya have questions just ask. Find the perfect size socket that rests flush to the outside of the seal simply tap the new seal in done deal.

Ghost926

Jul 26, 2011
Cen Cal
So since im still new to this whole engine stuff, i dont know what this wire/spring is. can anyone tell me if this was supposed to be next to the crank case seal? And I included a pic of the new seal and the other seal.

Attachments

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
That spring ring wire piece goes placed on the lip of a good seal. Your's came off the old seal. Discard it and the old throw it away. Look at your new seal it has that ring well placed on a rubber lip.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
is this supposed to look like this and how do i install the new gasket
Are you changing the seal on the magneto or the clutch side? I cannot really tell from looking at that pict what is installed there?

You basically install the new seal the same way the old one was. The seals are designed so that the spring/lip part is facing the engine. ''not pointing out''

Just squirming with a seal in a sloppy way can ruin it warp it or twist it. Causing a leak and or in addition for the spring to come off the rubber lip.

Get a long deep well socket that is the same diameter as the out side of the seal knock it in with gentle love taps from a hammer.

Do you own a socket set? The key to successfully installing a seal is to press it straight in and not to ever squirm around with it.

Ghost926

Jul 26, 2011
Cen Cal
its on the clutch side but it looks like only the inner part of the gasket will go in and theres no room for the outer part of the gasket. it looks like there is rubber stuck from the old gasket around more metal

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
its on the clutch side but it looks like only the inner part of the gasket will go in and theres no room for the outer part of the gasket. it looks like there is rubber stuck from the old gasket around more metal
Yup can't put the new seal in till ya get the old one out!

Ghost926

Jul 26, 2011
Cen Cal
Well I got ready to put my gasket in and I have to pull the clutch gear off, but I can't because the threads to pull the gear off are stripped(not the tool) is there any way to get the damn thing off other than that. Ive just about had it with this crappy thing