Wrong Fuel Mix! help

GoldenMotor.com

kapzi

Jun 28, 2011
aus
So i built my first bike heres how she looks

Ive accidently put 20:1 fuel ratio into my engine for the first start up without knowing until the next day . Is this going to hurt the run in for the engine and is there anythink wrong with my first build?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Kapzi. Great looking build!

Your work around for the carb is great!

20:1 is just a little more oil then I break in with for 2 smokes. Never had a problem so think your OK but I am no expert. Gas Oil Mixture Ratio Calculator

After she breaks in, I use just over 4 OZs to a US gallon.

Really like the way you got around the seat tube. Always a way. Wondering if you have any issues with the carb so far away?

You will get very different opinions on the whole break in thing. It may seem confusing but is all worth considering. But one day you will be tooling along and her rings will set. All of a sudden she will just pick up some power and speed. It is a great little high!

Post lots of pics. Great build

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
20:1 won't hurt a thing on break in, but I agree with Dan. I usually use 24:1 for break in and 32:1 thereafter.
You are good to go for the first tank full. Just run it dry and refill with 24:1 later on.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Nice, real nice. I had to mount the carb on a hose, too. I zip-tied it to the seat post to cut down on the bouncing.

Keep an eye on that chain. It looks a little slack. Just be ready to shorten it as it stretches. Annnddd...I think you have the fuel filter on backwards. Not critical but they work from the outside in. The way you have it you can't see any sedimentation be it from rust or whatever. At least they are supplying a better grade of hose. The one I got was sooo brittle you could snap it :p

One last bit of advice, keep an eye on the nuts and bolts all over the bike. The vibrations can loosen them up to where they fall out. I lost 3 of the clutch cover bolts before I heard it rattling.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I myself went by the mix recomended by Grubee and my bike was sick, found these guys and found out all the thing I needed to change or correct went to 24 to 1 and alot of the problems went away. Nice bike! If your clutch starts feeling soft you can put the big spring over the small return spring.

kapzi

Jun 28, 2011
aus
yeh ive shortened the fuel lines up to minimun.. zip tied the carb to the seat post to reduce bounce after those 2 little tweaks it runs better allready.

ill run it dry 2mrrw and replace with 24 to 1 for a full tank.

Also who agrees the fuel filter is upside down i have no clue if someone could give me a second view on that it would be great.

other then that i think it should be good too go...

kapzi

Jun 28, 2011
aus
allso it seems to be blowing white smoke and if i stick my hand under the exhaust i get oil specks on my hands? is that bad for running in ... i think i need some fresh fuel

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I think what Dave said was correct, if you look at the filter closely you want the fuel going to the outside of the element first then thru to the carb. That way you can see any debris that is in the fuel. The filter will work either way but turning it around will show debris better. As for the smoke you are going to see that till you change your mix.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yeppers, the fuel filter works best when it works like the shape of a Christmas tree. This will also help it function better, longer. With it working like a coffee filter, all the grit sits in one spot and all the gas gets strained threw it.

I know that seems backwards when you look at it. 99% of folks put em on the way you did and is not a big deal. If you look close at your filter, there is most likely a small arrow that should point in the direction of the flow.

Is not a huge deal but in a coupla hundred hrs or less, you would be wondering why she is running ruff and lost some power.

I think it is kinda a rule every one does it this way at least once.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
+1 on the fuel filter orientation... best to see the crud stackin' up in there.

20:1 is a legacy from the older days before we had hi-tech oil for our engines.
It was SOP to run all 2 strokes like that.

The HT engine will probably be tolerant of it, but the plug will foul sooner.
Best to use the oils and mixes the others advise after a break-in tank is run through it nicely.

Re-torque your headbolts and check everything after each run until you learn which things are going to require more frequent maintenance.

Chain tensioners have apparently gotten caught up in spokes more than a few times... Beware !

Best
rc