Got it running! Need help tuning

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok, ill try that with the pulley.

My bike has a two litter tank, so I put in a half gallon of gas, and 2.7 ounces of oil, to have a 24:1 ratio.

How do I adjust the carb so it's not running as rich? I don't really understand your instructions, what screw is it?

EDIT:

I was able to adjust the pulley, and now the chain looks perfect!
Now just to fix the running rich problem

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ah ok. Is there any way to adjust that without taking apart the handlebars? I couldnt get the cable loose enough to take it apart. Maybe im just over looking something?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Right, after unscrewing it, it came out with the slide and the spring attached to it, and I cant seem to find a way to get it lose.

Attached is an image to explain what I'm seeing

Attachments

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
At the one minute mark in that video it shows you, but there's a couple ways to do it.

One is to push the cable out the bottom and slide it right out the side where the slot is.

What I do is push the needle up and hop the spring off the side where the slot is (being careful not to bend the needle).

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Wow im sorry, Ive watched that video twice before you linked it, and it only now registered with me. Ok im gonna go check the position of that clip

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Stock is at the middle most notch, 3rd from the top.

You want to move it to the 2nd notch from the top, and see how it runs. If it runs well, let your engine cool and look at the plug. If it's still dark and or wet, move it to the top most position. Your goal is a nice dry chocolate brown.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok, so I adjusted it, my needle only had four settings. It was on the bottom most notch, and I put it two notches up. I hope that works. Do you think my spark plug wasnt working this morning because it was wet? Or did it get ruined? Because I have a feeling the same thing might have to the current spark plug

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
It's probably cause it got wet and fouled, and yes, I'd put money on it that's what happened to you this morning.

Since you've leaned the fuel a bit, you should be good. I'm curious to see if it runs better now.

What sparkplug are your running?

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ah, where can I get more of these sparkplugs in stores, I don't want to wait another 4 days for shipping. I have the NGK BP6HS.

Nearby I have autozone, walmart, kragen, bunch of car dealers. I'm not sure where to find these plugs, but I haven't looked anywhere but online

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Any auto shop like shucks or autozone can order them from another store in another state even.

I have the best luck with the BR7HS, and most local shops carry it. Most people don't like resistant plugs, but it works fine for me.

When I've gunked back plugs in the past, I just wire brush it, air compressor it, and wipe it off.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok ill have to give them a call tomorrow. I don't have a wire brush, but what your saying is if its cleaned properly it can work again? That makes sense, get rid of the gunk and it should spark

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
A dry cleaning is all I ever did, and I can't vouch for if it's good or bad - so someone else would have to chime in on that one. I just know I have every spark plug I've ever had and they all fire, some better than others - but they all fire.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
I saw a video on youtube of a guy cleaning a spark plug using a propane torch. Since I have a propane torch from bending the muffler, if the bike wont fire up tomorrow, I might have to give that a try. I hope that's a real method of cleaning it

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Ok so I cleaned the spark plug, I think its ok, but I went to Kragen, and bought two more. They were 2.50 each so its no big deal, as long as they dont keep dying on me. We will see tomorrow. But after adjusting everything, it runs great! (I think) there is still smoke coming out of the muffler, but you can't smell it nearly as much. I rode around for 20 minutes today and it was great fun.

Thank's to everybody for the help, especially DuctTapedGoat, thanks for being so patient while I'm so new to this.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I'm using a Champion J19LM, a very common lawnmower spark plug. They are usually $1 to 3, in Walmart, Autozone, Oreilleys, hardware stores, etc.

Max Power 334053 Spark Plug Replaces NGK B2LM Champion J19LM Autolite 458