Major problem?

GoldenMotor.com

jfoqueqeq

May 5, 2011
XI'AN
I got a nice bike for free and it seemed to fit the engine well.

I attached the rear wheel sprocket, and realized that I'm not sure if it's within 1/2 cm of the engine sprocket... in fact I'm almost positive that it's not.

Any tips on making this match up, or do I absolutely need a new bike? Because that would be a bummer.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I got a nice bike for free and it seemed to fit the engine well.

I attached the rear wheel sprocket, and realized that I'm not sure if it's within 1/2 cm of the engine sprocket... in fact I'm almost positive that it's not.

Any tips on making this match up, or do I absolutely need a new bike? Because that would be a bummer.
1. What engine have you installed?
2. Type of bike (coaster or pad brake)

One way to ensure the sprocket is mounted centered or as closely to center, is to mount the sprocket to the wheel. Don't tighten so as you cant move the sprocket. Take a string about as long as the circumference of the wheel, tie a loop that will loosely fit over the axle, and use the string as a compass. Tighten sprocket bolts to 10 foot pounds (120 inch pounds) if you have a torque wrench.

For coaster brakes that you want the dust cap intact.
YouTube - Bearing cap mod

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
The rear sprocket can be off from the front one... You can position the roller tensioner to guide the chain onto the rear sprocket.
You can also file the sides of the rear sprocket teeth to allow the chain to smoothly feed onto it. ;)