if i Raffled off a bike, would you buy a ticket?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I was just thinking, would anyone be interested in a raffle?

I'm building up a 1950's Monark Firestone Cruiser that i plan on selling and thought it would be kinda cool to raffle it off on the forum.

the problem, though, is i'd obviously need to make my money back, 'cause i ain't rich enough to give bikes away, so i'd need a minimum amount of people to kick down some money in the hopes of winning an awesome bike.

i'd love to have it for $10 a ticket, but i'd need 100 people to buy one to make it worthwhile.

if i had it at 25 bucks a ticket, it'd take less people to re-coup my money, and you'd probably have better odds, as less people would enter.

another problem is shipping. i figure it'd cost $100 anywhere in the USA if i packed it right, and unless i had an overwhelming amount of entrants, i think the winner should pay for shipping.

also, if i had a lot of entrants, i'd donate some of the profits to a charity. don't really have one in mind, but the red cross has helped me out in the past when my apartment burnt down, so i know that the money donated actually does something good.

and to make it so no one thinks i'm cheating, i could hold the raffle at the deathrace, and let someone else pick the ticket.

so, whattaya think? wouldja buy a ticket?

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
my luck has always been terrible, so i wouldn't, but for others who tend to be feeling lucky a bit more often then me, doesn't seem like a bad deal.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I think it sounds great ,but could the number of tickets also cover the shipping? I would prefer the $10 as my bank account is almost zip right now,but I think I got a job finally today.(I would have to USPS it)

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
that's part of the problem. obviously, i don't wanna lose any money on the bike, and i could just as easily sell it locally. so i figure i'd be asking $1000 for the bike, and i'd have to make that up in ticket sales. if i made more, then i could cover shipping.

but i'd need to sell 110 tickets at 10 bucks each to do that.

even though this forum has many more members than that, not all of them are "active," so you can see my problem.

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
I might be interested, the only issue I see is having to pay for shipping. I'd be willing to pay a higher tocket price so I don't have to pay for the S&H. I would be so happy to get a cool bike instead of my old bikes. LOL

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
no shift kit, mostly 'cause it's a vintage bike, and it's not gonna be super-raced out like my personal bike, for a coupla reasons. one, i don't wanna give away a bike someone might not be able to handle (or want to handle,) and two, the more unconventional a bike is, the harder for someone else to repair it. this will be a simple bike to maintain, but will still stand out amongst the rest.

what you'd get is a custom painted bike, a custom tank, grubee GT5 66cc motor that's been tuned, quality, non-kit throttle, levers, cables, etc, hub adapter and sprocket, HD wheels, Shimano coaster brake, front drum brake, and whatever else i figure out as i go along.

believe me, the winner won't be disappointed.

i've got 90% of the parts for this bike already, so i figure it should take me no more than 2 weeks to get it built. if you follow the build thread, you'll see it come together:

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/monark-firestone-cruiser-my-next-project-27635.html

basically, if more and more people respond to this thread, by the time the bike's done, i'll know if this will work out.

and the shipping deal is entirely up to the number of entrants. if i get enough, it's free. if i barely break even, i can't afford it either...:)

so keep the responses coming, or PM me if you wanna keep it private.

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
ok, so i was thinking...

$21 for a ticket.
the extra dollar is for shipping.

if i can get 50 tickets confirmed by March 10, then this can happen. i'll make an Official post explaining all the rules and how to get your ticket, etc.

so for now, PM me or post here if you are seriously interested. i'd hate to have a hundred people say "yay. i'll buy a ticket" and then not, so i end up having to refund everyone's money because i can't afford it.

the winner will be picked by an unbiased person at the Death Race in arizona on April 16. i'll video it and post it up on youtube.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Test it and tune it with anothet tank and you will have a clean (the one that goes on the bike)tank to ship it with no gas fumes to cause problems,and would $22 (2x50) make up the $100 shipping

Last edited:

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
didn't think about that with the tank. good idear. with a tank liner, i could wash it out without it corroding inside, but your plan sounds pretty good.

if i get 50 people in, i'll eat the rest of the shipping cost. i don't even know where it's going, anyways. could be cheaper...

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Yeah, I'm for sure in, this would be so cool. I really hope some people put in, if anything they are donating and helping some lucky person who can't afford to pay for shipping, to buy a ticket. :) I hope that made sense. LOL Good Luck to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.