Caviness Motorbike Co. 2010

GoldenMotor.com

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Got my new crankset from Sportsman Flyer installed and have been riding the bike a bit lately. The weather has been really warm here in Georgia considering the time of year. I hope to get a better photo angle on Friday.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks Pat! Yea ironically enough that old place is just off a four lane road right near our house. It's marked as Historical. I think before the building downturn the county was going to refurbish it a bit but they haven't done anything to it lately.

I installed my bike rack today after refurbishing it a bit (Thanks Motomagz for the great item!). Looks like it was always part of the bike. I hope to have some updated pics soon showing the sprocket from the new crankset and the back rack.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
So I took the bike out yesterday during lunch for a quick ride and all was well. Then after work I was going to take the bike to the local barber shop for a haircut and I only got about half way. The bike started running rough, I got a burned rubber smell, then lost power. I was able to get the bike turned around and ride it home. Later on I looked the bike over and checked the usual things, wiring contacts, air leaks etc.. I have deduced that it's probably the CDI as there was limited to no spark and the bike will not crank. It will try but then dies out.

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
It lives! I ended up replacing the CDI and rewiring it to make sure no loose contacts were an issue, opened up the gear box and replaced a floating part from the clutch pad and gear bolt (used locktite), moved c-clip back down a notch, and replaced the plug with a B6HS. The bike is running basically like before and has the power back for climbing hills but i'm still getting some 4-stroking at the top end. Hmm...

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Jetted down to a #68 and have a little less 4-stroking, may try moving the clip to the second one down from the top. In the mean time I've ordered some of the Continental Retro-Ride cream tires as I finally found someone that had them in stock.

Attachments

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Well the bike has been running really good. I've made a new bracket for my vintage headlight but I haven't gotten any electronics installed in it yet but maybe soon. I don't really need any lights as it stays light so long into the evening right now.

Also, I received the Continental Retroride Cream tires but haven't installed them as of yet. I may save them for my next build/frame.

I'm still getting some 4-stroking at the WOT but have a really nice sweet spot just as the bike engine gets under some load. I'm thinking I might not be getting the right air mixture so I ordered a bit better air filter, the low-profile one from Pirates. I got the blue one and may paint it later. Also, I ordered one of the mufflers pictured to see how it does as well. The one I have is great for power but it's loud and my ears are ringing when I get back from a ride.

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Such a great looking build, every time I see it I cannot help but stare!

Let me know what you think of that exhaust, too, it is one that I am thinking about for my bike.

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
looks great! great pics too i was curious where you obtained the rack with tool tox? and early on you had some shrouding installed near the cdi and near the rear wheel were those your own creation?

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Thanks, the rear rack with tool boxes was from an eBay auction originally from an old Peugeot bicycle and in fact I won it from a fellow member on this forum.

The shrouds that I had on at one point were my creation. The front one was made from a piece of sheet metal and the back one was a piece of plastic that I had bent around the tube and fixed in place with zip ties. I might add the front one back at some point and will probably get another rear fender so that it goes further down than the one I have now.

Also, I have installed the air filter that I received from Pirate Cycles but have not had the chance to ride/test it out yet. UPS tracking shows that my new muffler has been delivered as well.

Last edited:

HollywoodHooligan

Apr 15, 2012
Los Angeles
Thanks, the rear rack with tool boxes was from an eBay auction originally from an old Peugeot bicycle and in fact I won it from a fellow member on this forum.

The shrouds that I had on at one point were my creation. The front one was made from a piece of sheet metal and the back one was a piece of plastic that I had bent around the tube and fixed in place with zip ties. I might add the front one back at some point and will probably get another rear fender so that it goes further down than the one I have now.

Also, I have installed the air filter that I received from Pirate Cycles but have not had the chance to ride/test it out yet. UPS tracking shows that my new muffler has been delivered as well.
plastic? i see well that is really creative

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
Ok got the new air filter and muffler installed. The muffler is so quiet compared to the banana pipe I didn't think the bike was running. Not nearly as much power but then again it doesn't seem like the bike is getting enough gas now. SO..... I changed the BH6 to a BH5 plug and it ran a bit better but still not as much power and still seemed like it wasn't getting enough gas. SO... I have now rejetted back to the stock jet (#70) I believe. I had a SBP #68 in there. My clip is on the second from the top. Any ideas??

darkhawk22

Aug 17, 2010
Acworth, GA
I haven't updated this thread in a while so I thought I'd write a little something. I tried a couple of different options with mufflers and didn't have any luck. So I installed a length of high temp silicon tubing from Sick Bike Parts and a DDM exhaust silencer to my banana pipe and wow what a difference in noise control. It made the banana pipe much quieter with no major reduction in power/performance. So far I'm happy with it. It doesn't look the best but it makes casual riding nicer and doesn't disturb the neighbors quite as much. Link to the DDM silencer, I have the chrome one painted black:

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4389/.f

Attachments

Last edited: