Engine stops mid-cruise after 10-15 minutes

GoldenMotor.com

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
I got my first time 2-atroke 49cc kit installed with only a few small problems I was able to resolve with info and help from this forum. Thanks.
Now I find that it starts easy enough, and I've been riding it around a few blocks for a short time. Several times, while cruising at less than full speed, it has just stopped dead and rolled to a stop. I've always been able to get it started again after a few minutes though. After searching and reading many posts, I haven't found an answer, but here are some things which might be related: putting on 1/2 choke caused it to fire a few more times, there is a slight rubber smell (I thought the chain was rubbing the tire, but no), there was enough fuel/oil mix on the bottom of the float bowl to wet my finger. That's about all I got. Can anyone help me?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sounds like it might be a starvation problem, that yer not getting full flow to the carby - common causes are the tank's cap not venting properly and/or the petcock & filters are clogged, or even the carby's float being adjusted too high - but that would usually cause a problem sooner than "fifteen minutes"...

I'd fill the tank then pull the fuel line off the carby and drain back into the gas can - even with the cap on the fuel tank you should get full flow, but ya gotta let it drain for a while as if it's the cap not venting it'll take a lil while to show a reduction.

Or - you could try riding w/o the cap & see if it still shuts down, but that's a lil sketchy ofc lol

jmperry55

Dec 3, 2010
Fort Myers, Florida
.wee.You hit the nail right on the gas cap! Simple test confirmed no-vent situation, simple drill bit fixed it! Thanks for your input! Sure glad I found this forum or I'd have no grey hair left!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And just where does that "burnt rubber smell" come from? I've had it on every new engine and it always goes away after a few miles. What the heck produces that odor? There's no rubber that comes into contact with heat but it definitely smells like rubber. I suppose Fly could be right but... Hmmmm?
Tom

fm2200

Nov 16, 2008
new york city
My guess Tom, is that there is a protective film sprayed on at the assembly plant to retard any rusting, and to protect from moisture as well.

deathmonkeypoo

Jan 29, 2011
ithaca ny
I hope that's what's wrong with mine to since its been doing the same thing this morning evan after replacing the spark plug and boot im going to try it after work and hope its just that to.