What's leaking from the crankcase....grease? *pic included* Help diagnose

GoldenMotor.com

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
This is leaking through the crankcase..

..Seems like grease, possibly from the clutch shaft.
There is a small piece of gasket missing there...

Was thinking it is some assembly grease for the clutch shaft...

Also wondering about using some RVT gasket maker sealant right there...

What are your thoughts guys?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I was told the bearings go dry after they sit sideways in a box forever before it is sold. They over compensate with grease for this reason so when you run it grease will come out;at least that was what i was told..

I have had many, many engines do that and they usually stop after a little while.

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
Yep, it looks like grease. My suggestion would be to tear it down and replace the gasket. If there is a bad spot in the gasket water/dirt can get in there.

Terry

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Yes it will stop leaking putting a prefect smear of rtv into the crack then neatly wiping it off will be fine. I had a few china;s apart recently and gave a summery of what I found. http://motorbicycling.com/f39/little-help-norm-24715.html

The clutch part is separated from the crank case part by the casting and gasket. If it is running fine don't think it is going to be a prob.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I have this same issue. Almost through my second gallon of 24:1 break-in mix (so not many miles on my motor) and still getting some seepage from the same spot. It is not coming from the clutch cable holder bolt, but between the case halves.

It does seem to be slowing down. Should I just leave it be, or seal it up with some rtv? I do not want to lose too much lube.

The motor is running great otherwise.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have this same issue. Almost through my second gallon of 24:1 break-in mix (so not many miles on my motor) and still getting some seepage from the same spot. It is not coming from the clutch cable holder bolt, but between the case halves.

It does seem to be slowing down. Should I just leave it be, or seal it up with some rtv? I do not want to lose too much lube.

The motor is running great otherwise.
Unless you have experience, or want it, with tearing the engine completely apart to replace the case gasket you can seal that area with some silicone based sealer. Clean the area well with a solvent, dry then smear the sealer into the area where the grease is coming out. That will at least slow, if not stop anymore leaking. I wouldn't worry about loosing too much grease. The clutch shaft is usually well lubricated from the factory.
Good luck.
Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
IMO

I'd consider that little bit of oozing grease a good sign the factory lubed the shaft effectively!

Wipe it off with a Qtip if it bothers you, but at least now you are aware that when your drive system/clutch begins to make a bit of noise, that grease IS required in there.

lol the oozing grease is just another indication of the fine quality machining on the chinagirl cases! lol gotta love 'em!

...It's like an old harley that doesn't leak... somethings wrong! lol

Best
rc

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Unless you have experience, or want it, with tearing the engine completely apart to replace the case gasket you can seal that area with some silicone based sealer. Clean the area well with a solvent, dry then smear the sealer into the area where the grease is coming out. That will at least slow, if not stop anymore leaking. I wouldn't worry about loosing too much grease. The clutch shaft is usually well lubricated from the factory.
Good luck.
Tom

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Old post, I bet it's fixed. Here is a picture of a case, you can see how thin the compartments that the gasket goes. This picture was for someone else, but you can see there isn't much gasket surface.

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
cool saw a leak on mine today,bottom of case,now i wont worry about it,clean and seal it.thought might have to do complete overhaual before it even got broke in.third build, others no such prob but all three differant makes.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
cool saw a leak on mine today,bottom of case,now i wont worry about it,clean and seal it.thought might have to do complete overhaual before it even got broke in.third build, others no such prob but all three differant makes.
If you have a leak on the bottom of the case, is it under the crankshaft section, or the clutch shaft section. If under the crankshaft, I don't think RTV will cure the problem, as there is pressure exerted at the leak. Although I don't really like JB Wield, on most applications that members do, I feel that this problem just might need it (use sparingly). Under the cam shaft section, go with RTV. Make sure the area is clean. A little spray of starting fluid, throttle body cleaner, alcohol, or the like will prep it for the RTV, or JB. If mine, I'd drain fuel, lay bike on its side overnight, clean then repair.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
seems like its the clutch side ,rear area, only see leak when its not running.looked after wiping clean while running no sign of oil.pos air leak? as i close choke sems to keep running then slowly dies.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
seems like its the clutch side ,rear area, only see leak when its not running.looked after wiping clean while running no sign of oil.pos air leak? as i close choke sems to keep running then slowly dies.
Sound like it might be the (case half) gasket is leaking into the clutch housing and this can cause a vacuum leak like you describe. Clean it good and apply some RTV, if that doesn't stop it, I'd go with JB Weld, just a dab over the leaking area. If a vacuum leak, it still could be there through the clutch shaft seals.

Last edited: