Breaking in my 2 stroke

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
This has been my experience so far.

Motor kit is 48cc from Zoom bicycles. Instructions say mix high grade synthetic 2 stroke oil to 16:1 for break-in, which is what I did.

Keep speeds below 20 mph and continuous running less than 30 minutes at a time for first 50 miles. I didn't strictly adhere to the maximum speed warning, but my final drive gearing is higher than stock, 40T instead of 44T. I did keep the running time short for at least the first 50 miles though.

I'm almost finished with my first gallon of gas. From now on it's recommended I mix high grade synthetic 2 stroke oil at 40:1 ratio.

I feel my motor is probably broken in now with about 100 miles on it. The whole time it's been running the 16:1 mix. I weigh about 215 lbs. My motor starts and runs well. Seems to have a lot of compression. I saw 31 mph once on the flat with a tail wind. It easily does 25 on a flat street.

The highest cylinder head temperature I've seen after a 20 mile ride was 294 degrees read near the spark plug hole. Most of the time riding in the neighborhood cylinder head temperature averages about 254 degrees. Ambient temperatures have been in the 80s to upper 80s lately.

At some point during the first 50 miles I changed the spark plug from a NGK B6HS to a NGK BP6HS and it improved high speed running.

Soon I'l be changing the gas mix raito and report what If any difference I notice.

.shft.drn2.we.

Last edited: