Engine not starting

GoldenMotor.com

bfgmovies

Aug 28, 2010
Statesboro, GA
so my second build ran fine for a while but now all of a sudden it wont turn over, Like it sputters like it wants to start but as soon as I stop pedaling or push the clutch back in it it stops, but the engine doesn't start. I know it's not a carburetor problem because I took it apart and made sure everything was good on it. When I turn the throttle I know gas goes into the engine because the engine starts making a more open, throaty sound, but a dying sound none the less.. anyone know what may be the problem?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You need three things for an engine to run. Fuel, air and ignition. Start by confirming you have fuel flowing to the carburetor. Disconnect the fuel line at the carb, turn the petcock to the open position and see if fuel flows.

Air: Is the choke opening when you move the choke lever down? Remove the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carb. Move the choke and assure that it is open. While you're doing that twist the throttle and see if the barrel is lifting when you twist the grip. It should return to the down position when you release the throttle.

Ignition: Remove the spark plug from the cylinder head. Connect the plug wire back to it, lay it tightly against the cylinder cooling fins then push the bike forward, clutch engaged, at a good pace. Look for a spark at the plug's electrodes.
Confirm these things and get back to us with your findings.
Tom