Looking for a HS four stroke motor

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I picked up the EZM tranny Patrick was selling in Swap & Shop. I don't have the mechanical wherewithall to fabricate a clutch/transmission system worth having. I was thinking of using the HF engine, but I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the frame I'll be using, a 50 Schwinn Panther. So it looks like a HS motor when I can scrape together the do-re-mi. Sold my old Suzuki Samurai to buy the tranny and for gas money to get to Maryland in a couple weeks. Here's the bike it will go on which I found at the dump last summer, painted it and now has new HD wheels. A used HS or Honda would be good... Should make a really nice ride. I'm open to barter. I have a nice 52 Schwinn step through with great parts which could finish out a Panther frame for somebody...
SB

Attachments

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
SB, you will need a HS with a straight shaft (either 15mm or 5/8") to mount the front pulley
both the ones for sale at Bicycle-Engines say that they are a tapered shaft,
it can be done, but would require a special, tapered pulley

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
SB, you will need a HS with a straight shaft (either 15mm or 5/8") to mount the front pulley
both the ones for sale at Bicycle-Engines say that they are a tapered shaft,
it can be done, but would require a special, tapered pulley
The link I gave him is correct
That version has a straight 5/8" shaft and is a copy of the Honda GXH 50

Hua Sheng F142 49cc 4 stroke engine is compatible with the
Grubee Whopper Stopper Stage II and stage III mounting kit.
The motors with the tapered shaft come complete with a built in
centrifigal clutch which is this motor 49cc Gas Powered 4 Stroke Engine with Clutch - $189.99
there is some incorrect info on that page as it does not fit the Whopper Stopper Stage II and stage III mounting kit

Last edited:

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I picked up the EZM tranny Patrick was selling in Swap & Shop. I don't have the mechanical wherewithall to fabricate a clutch/transmission system worth having. I was thinking of using the HF engine, but I'm pretty sure it won't fit in the frame I'll be using, a 50 Schwinn Panther. So it looks like a HS motor when I can scrape together the do-re-mi. Sold my old Suzuki Samurai to buy the tranny and for gas money to get to Maryland in a couple weeks. Here's the bike it will go on which I found at the dump last summer, painted it and now has new HD wheels. A used HS or Honda would be good... Should make a really nice ride. I'm open to barter. I have a nice 52 Schwinn step through with great parts which could finish out a Panther frame for somebody...
SB
(^) why not a harbor freight?
Sam

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sam asked why not the Greyhound. I thought about it because others here on the forum have had good success with it, it is easily available and the price is right. But I got to looking at Fossil's bike, a Schwinn Corvette with a cantilever frame and it really fills up that space. My Panther straightbar has even less space available, so I don't think it will fit my frame. Second point was after some study I decided I didn't like the exit point for the exhaust as comes out up above and I'm kinda sensitive about catching my crotch on fire. I could make a pair of copper underpants or wear asbestos tights, but another solution would be the HS engine which is smaller and has a less threatening exhaust point. That's why, Sam. A third and less compelling point for me is that the HS engine is a simpler install with the EZM transmission and mount, so the difference in price is not enough to make me want to hassle with the Greyhound. But mostly, I don't think it will fit.
SB

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Sam asked why not the Greyhound. I thought about it because others here on the forum have had good success with it, it is easily available and the price is right. But I got to looking at Fossil's bike, a Schwinn Corvette with a cantilever frame and it really fills up that space. My Panther straightbar has even less space available, so I don't think it will fit my frame. Second point was after some study I decided I didn't like the exit point for the exhaust as comes out up above and I'm kinda sensitive about catching my crotch on fire. I could make a pair of copper underpants or wear asbestos tights, but another solution would be the HS engine which is smaller and has a less threatening exhaust point. That's why, Sam. A third and less compelling point for me is that the HS engine is a simpler install with the EZM transmission and mount, so the difference in price is not enough to make me want to hassle with the Greyhound. But mostly, I don't think it will fit.
SB
ahhhh. I see. well good luck on your quest!