Childhood Pranks

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This thread > http://motorbicycling.com/f28/mythbusters-turd-polishing-12849.html prompted me to start this one.
Come on guys, fess up. What were some of the pranks you pulled as kids? I'll start this one off, and I hope no one from my old neighborhood is reading this.
We had a grumpy old guy who apparently hated kids. He was always calling the cops on us and yelling at us from his front yard. One night we made a cigarette bomb with cherry bombs, stuck it in the top of one of his palm trees, hid and waited down the street. When the cigarette lit the fuse, the cherry bombs went off and blew the entire top out of a twenty foot palm tree. Cops came, naturally, and inspected the damage but we were gone by then. I think about that today and wonder how I'd feel about having one of my trees destroyed by a bunch of teenaged roudys... Mr. Purdy...I apologize.
Tom

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i have a million of them...

after that grumpy guy moved from your neighborhood to mine, we used to spraypaint Dayglo Pink circles in his driveway, the same size as a trashcan lid. then we'd put the lid over them.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Not a prank, but did really happen a LONG time ago...
Ok... What was I thinking? I brought home 7 sticks of TNT, found them in a wooden box at an old construction site, I thought they were flairs(at first), my buddies and I were playing catch with them, rubbed the dirt off one, said TNT bla bla bla... everybody froze!, I think I was 10 years old, Dad stepped out about then, saw us all petrafied and wide-eyed, came over and got us all out of there, bomb squad came evacuated 3 square blocks... I thought it was funny, till I found out it didn't take much to make them blow up, which the bomb squad did, said the TNT was over 20yrs old and very unstable.. Kids... I don't know how I survived

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
When I was at age two I stuffed a small rattle snake into my fathers canteen and it seemed I was doing it all the faster because my mother was yelling and running my way:D

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
when i was a kid our neighbor was always calling the sheriff on us. he went on a 2 week vacation, my brother and i snagged the bag of weed seeds off of the back of dads combine and seeded his yard. he was not happy when he got home. but he must have figgered out who did it because he stoprd calling the cops.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
lawn pranks are always great. a couple of handfuls of laundry soap sprinkled all over is a great one for that guy with the automatic sprinklers that keeps getting your car wet.

or liquid detergent in the apartment fountain is fun, too...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
There used to be a laundry detergent called Salvo. It was great big tablets, about 3" in diameter. We used to drive by and throw them in the apartment building waterfall and within minutes the suds were covering the street. One time we overdid it and the fire department showed up to hose down the street. The suds were 3 feet deep. The apartment people shut down the waterfall for about a year after that one and by the time they turned it back on we'd outgrown that kind of fun.
Tom

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
someone (not me, i swear!) used to do it to a fountain on my way to work a few years back. it was on a busy corner, and the same thing would happen. it would cause a traffic jam. i had a F350 Dually Crew Cab V10 work truck, so i'd just plow through all the suds.

sometimes, i'd turn around and hit it again:)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Worst thing I ever remember doing as a kid was riding my dirtbike all over the alfalfa field at the end of the street. Stupid me put the bike in the garage without cleaning the alfalfa off of it and when the farmer came to the door (found out he'd gone to everyone's house that had a bike) there was no way to deny what I'd done.

Now my brothers on the other hand...they're 17 and 13 years older them me. One time when the family all got together years ago my brothers told the story about how it was them and a buddy that had got back at the hard nosed town cop with dad's 50' logging chain and a telephone pole when they were teenagers. They swear that George Lucas got the idea from them because American Graffiti came out in '73 and they'd done it in '68.

Dad semi-verified their story since 1 he remembered when the cop car got it's rear axle pulled out from under it and 2 he always wondered what happened to his 50' logging chain. rotfl

Fulltimer

Aug 13, 2010
Saint Augustine, FL
My older brother did the log chain to a cop car. That was in the 50's. After it was hooked up him and his buddies laid a patch of rubber and out came the cop to chase them. I grew up on a dirt road in PA and the house was built in 1868. At that time it had a wooden porch on the front and back side. A man that lived down the road (he was around 80 when he told this in 1958) was telling me how he used to ride his horse up to the house in the middle of the night and run it **** bent for leather down that porch. The old farmer would come out shooting his shotgun.

My fun times was hitting police cars with rotten eggs! We did that at night and we dressed for it...all black. Never got caught either!

Terry

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
ahhh, Made me remember the lawn pranks, had a neighbor who adored her lawn, OK no big deal, she was a bit uppity, nose in the air etc... one day she decided to put her trash basically on the side of my house, instead of in front of her's, I mentioned it to her, said she hated looking at it, whatever. Soooo, I got some "weed-b-gone", put it in a old ice cube tray back in the deep freezer, used a sling shot to disperse the "agent" so it didn't look like it came from me, laughed for MONTHS, every attempt at a re-seeding, failed...

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
mythbusters failed to rip the rear end out of a cop car that way.
Wrong kind of car, it had coil springs and a 4 link suspension. Do that to a car with leaf springs and it'll pull the perches right off the frame.

Mythbusters screw up on a lot of myths. rotfl

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm waiting for stories from Fast Eddy and Buzzard. They're about my age and we had similiar childhoods. Come on guys, where are you? I had one that I was going to add here but then I thought maybe the authorities are still looking for the guilty parties. It had something to do with a high school football field, a 56 Olds with snow tires and something that looked like crop circles...:(
Tom

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I got mad at the science teacher sending me to the office in 9th grade, snuck back into class after last bell, and opened the Bunsen burner valves,,,

me and some friends were out back smoking near the football field when the light show/fireworks started !!!

they never did find out what caused the gas leak

(even though it was 1975, and the statute of limitations may have run out, I am not saying where the school is located ;))

Last edited:

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Back in the mid 70's my buddies and I could probably outdo Cheech and Chong if you know what I mean.
We'd drive to the Ames store (kinda like a K-mart) and tie very heavy monofilament fishing string to a shopping cart and the other end to some poor unknowing shopper's car.
We didn't mind hanging out in a parking space at a distance waiting for them to get back to their car.

It was hilarious watching them pull that shopping cart behind them as they worked their way through that big parking lot.
It probably hit a parked car or so..
We did some bad stuff. I should probably be getting out of jail about now if I'd been caught for all the crap we did....

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
I grew up in a small town on Route 66. We had a major intersecting highway with a stop light. One night we threw a rope over the stoplight and hoisted a toilet to the top and tied the rope off to a light pole. Made the the front page of the local newspaper...........