Thank you, Camlifter

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A couple of months back in June I made my trip from Maryland to Minnesota and had the great pleasure to meet Jon (Camlifter) and Kyle at a bike show/race in Ohio. At that event Jon presented me with his restored Schwinn step through as a gift to help me get back on my feet after a fire in May pretty well wiped me out. The bike had only ten miles or so on the engine and is like new (new wheels, handlebars, etc.)
I've been riding the bike regularly this summer as I labor on my Worksman build and have learned to never choke it. I had thought at first it was hard to start and Jon mentioned that he thought it was cold blooded, but I was giving it choke as I had my old bike. The day of the event I pedaled a good bit getting it going. Without choke it pops off in twenty feet of easy pedaling, so I guess they're all different. The engine is a Grube 50 cc and is a little less powerful than the 68s I'm used to, but it is a very smooth running motor and the custom exhaust routed out the back makes for a pretty quiet ride. I get lots of waves from neighbors and tourists and the bike does look sharp. The only changes I have made were adding a front caliper brake using a NOS Schwinn brake adapter. The coaster brake works fine, but I like a bit of insurance. I also switched the smaller behind the seat tank with one of my juice tanks as it holds more gas and I need to fill less often. I cruise along a bit more slowly with this bike, quietly riding through the forest, being quite happy at 20 mph even though it will do 30. I like that I can go very slowly without killing the engine. I had thought at one time that I would sell it, but I don't think so. When I ride the bike it is a reminder of the many people here at the forum who wished me well at the time I was down. And particularly it reminds me of Jon & Kyle in Ohio. Besides, I think my sister in law is quite enamored with this bike and sees herself riding it once she works up the courage to do something 'bold and daring' at 50 years old. So it will be a bike I will ride sometimes myself and one which will be enjoyed by visitors including my sister in law. You did a great job putting the bike together and the engine is rock solid, Jon. Thanks again...
SB

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i'm glad i could help out, walt, nice to see you up and running again. i wasn't alone though, big props to all the members who stepped up and helped walt get home. thats whats so great about this forum. we look out for each other and are always ready to support a fellow member.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
I to would have to second just how sweet the bike is since I saw it close up while I was at Silver Bears.
No detail was missed in the building and to give it to a fellow member in need, azbill is right, this place rocks.

Steve.