Figure This Out And Ill Be Amazed...MOTOR JUST DIED

GoldenMotor.com

jmlmotorbikes

Aug 3, 2010
Saint.Petersburg, FL
MOTOR JUST DIED OUT DURNING TRIP

Okay guys heres the deal...I was running strong and my motor just died out. I checked for gas flow and the carb is working fine. Second I checked for spark and there is defintly spark. I changed the spark plug just incase. The motor is about 4 days old. There is no kill switch connected. So i have gas flow, i have spark, but i cant get the engine to start again. PLEASE HELP!!!:-||

Last edited:

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Can you check the tightness of your head bolts? It's a good idea to get a small torque wrench and keep those bolts torqued to 150in/lbs or 12.5 ft lbs...

You can check engine compression by rolling the bike with the clutch popped and there should be springy resistance. If you take out the spark plug and do this, there should be a rush of air blowing out the spark plug hole on each stroke.

Also, make sure that your carb is tightly fastened to the intake tube.

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Did you zip strip the magnito wires to the frame?? I did this on my first bike and it wouldn't start, the wires were arcing through the clear insulation to the frame. Just a thought. I'm assuming your running a 2 stroke

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You have spark and gas to the carb....but, what about through the carb to the cylinder? Check the main jet to see if it unscrewed. Also, check the slide in case it is not going up when you turn the twist grip.

jmlmotorbikes

Aug 3, 2010
Saint.Petersburg, FL
you know i was at work tonight thinking the same thing about the main jet in the carb and thought to myself what else could it be. If the wires are all tight, no kill switch is connected, there is spark then it has too be something from carb to cylinder. I will check this when i get home tomorrow and update you guys. Thanks again for the help...

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
same thing happened to me this past weekend. Luckily i wasn't too far away from my camper when it just died.

First thing I'd do in your situation which is what I'm going to do as soon as I get time off of work:

1. Replace fuel with fresh fuel
2. Replace spark plug....I've had plugs fail internally from the HT engine's vibration
3. Disconnect kill switch to be sure
4. If still not running, clean carb and check all jets....or replace wtih a known carb that works....ez ot do since I have about a half-dozen carbs in my spare bin
5. replace cdi.... perhaps weak spark
6. check magneto....ensure one of the solder welds came looks

jmlmotorbikes

Aug 3, 2010
Saint.Petersburg, FL
ITS FIXED

Alrighty, the problem is fixed guys. All great ideas were offered and a lot of good stuff to keep in mind were said. The problem was.......The C-clip acually came off the pin inside the carb...bada bing bada boom,lol simple fix.... again i thank you guys for the help... may this forum serve others... Good Day to all

DudeZXT

Jun 20, 2010
Lexington, KY
Wow. Talk about running lean... Guess you just took it apart out of exasperation and because it was the one thing you hadn't checked yet?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
make sure your choke lever's not loose and bouncing up and killing your engine.
Ahhhh...You, my friend, remember my little episode with that insolent choke nut that kept loosening up and killing the motor. I was going to jump in here and mention it, but you are much too fast. Lock-tite worked by the way. I don't like to use it too often myself, but when all else fails...