about charity in general

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When I was in the service many, many years ago, I saw a jar on the desk of a Sergent in the in the company office. It was labeled Give to the Children of Israel. The Sergent's name was John Israel.

That was my first awareness that all charity is not really what you think. Some one somewhere has a hand in the cookie jar. Not always a bad thing, ie the jobs in the salvation army store ect. But sometimes ten cents on the dollar actually gets to the intended people. That is not a good thing.

That's kind of like taxes I think. Give it to us and we will give it back to you, but only after we take a chunk out of course. We pay for good things like soldiers and their equipment, roads and the like. But a whole lot of the money doesn't get to what we thought we were paying for. Ie the children of Israel charity kind of thing.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
All I can add is that the govt't wastes 99% of what it gets.

Do a charitable thing, instead of just handing over money blindly.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
we have two programs running at the same time here for back to school supplies one is by the county school board and one is with the salvation army. The salvation army vets the recipients, the county gives them to anyone. Guess who gets our donations.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There are thousands of homeless people begging for money on every corner here in LA... The only ones I ever help are the ones who ask for food & NOT money... I'll buy them a burger when I order my food.

I can deny a bum a dollar, but it's hard to deny a hungry man something to eat while I stuff my face.

That's my take on charity.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
In our town which is smaller than la but a heck of a lot, we have one man who sits outside a fast food chicken restaurant until the shelter opens. I think he gets lunch there every day from someone. I am allergic to chicken, so I am never there at lunch time. But I expect someone is.

The shelter in our town only cooks one meal a day but send the men out for the day with a bag with a piece of fruit and breakfast pastry of some kind. Lunch is the meal they have to scrounge for themselves.

I have been asked for money, and I usually offer lunch instead. I have given guys money and knew at the time it was a mistake, but for some reason I believed their hard luck story that day. It's hard to look a truly down and out guy in the eye and say no. A druggie or drunk yeah I can do that, so I probably get fooled a few times.. my bad..

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think it's funny when a drunk guy puffing on a smoke asks for money...then gets mad when you say "sorry Charlie".

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Begging is a good paying profession in this town!! :(
Several years ago there used to be a guy that sat near a busy intersection with a sign that read "Will work for food". You would always see him in the same spot, never leaving but people would give him coffee, sandwiches and cash. One day someone called into the local DJ about him and things kind of snowballed with people calling in saying what they'd given him and the fact that he always turned down work. Because of that someone decided to really check him out, they sat all day in an adjacent parking lot and watched. Quite a few people offered him work but he'd never take it but he would always take cash. After the evening rush hour was over he folded up his chair and sign, walked to a nearby lot, got into his Cadillac and drove to his very nice home. The guy that watched tried to keep track of the cash and he estimated the guy was bringing down somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 to $500 a day. The local news got a hold of the story and that was the end of his begging days.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I think it's funny when a drunk guy puffing on a smoke asks for money...then gets mad when you say "sorry Charlie".

A guy can certainly survive without booze and a cigarette. That should be the last thing to waste money on in poor, dyer times. Both are terrible and unnecessary habits..

captainrichhill

May 31, 2008
I've always been tempted to ask the guys who are begging, "How did you get to this place in your life?". I'm sure there are some really bad choices in their history. ****, we've all made bad choices. How many of them are there just because their options ran out. If I thought I could talk with them without being mugged, I would like to hear the stories. I bet some of them came from high up in the social circles. Specially since times are hard lately.
What do you guys think? Am I being nieve? Are they all there by their indirect choosing?

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
I"ve been thinking about opening a new franchise "Will work for food" I'll furnish the grocery cart, the sign, some ratty clothes and possibly a throw away cell phone.... put these people in all different corners around town and work on a 60/40% basis. It would beat working for a living. LOL
Old buzzard

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I've always been tempted to ask the guys who are begging, "How did you get to this place in your life?". I'm sure there are some really bad choices in their history. ****, we've all made bad choices. How many of them are there just because their options ran out. If I thought I could talk with them without being mugged, I would like to hear the stories. I bet some of them came from high up in the social circles. Specially since times are hard lately.
What do you guys think? Am I being nieve? Are they all there by their indirect choosing?
I had a friend in HS who's dad was the director of the local rescue mission. There were lots (and still are some) of programs to get people off the streets but from the stories he'd tell there's a large number that you can give a job and a place to live and within 6 months they would be right back to where they started, on the street.

I'm not saying don't help people I'm just saying that there are those that just can't be or refuse to be helped.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Buzzard..good idea... I can provide you with some good signs for your employees....have seen alot in the area...my thoughts on begging and bums--be real carefull who you let get close to you on the street..better to be a heartless, cold person than a victim.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I stick by my opinion that 99% of the homeless folks are there because they want to be.
No responsibility, no bills, no family hassles, pure freedom....or at least that's how I understand it from the one's I have talked with.

I was homeless in 1981 due to "circumstances" for awhile, and though I was able to get food, and even a little money from aluminum cans, it was not my cup of tea.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Franchise is the way to go... Sell corners or course you would need an enforcer since they are probably not the most trustworthy of souls.