Mechanically-challenged 49 y.o. female seeks ...

GoldenMotor.com

marybodacious

Jul 25, 2010
Massachusetts
troubleshooting tips. Thanks in advance ...

I just got the bike assembled and running OK then all of a sudden the throttle doesn't seem to be working. The cable seems to be doing what it's supposed to do, so I'm wondering about fuel flow. Can someone tell me: should I see fuel in the carb chamber when I look inside? (Because I don't.) Should the tubing from the fuel tank to the carb be full of fuel when the valve/petcock is on "open"? (Because it isn't.)

If the problem were loose wires, would the engine still start? The motor starts when I engage the clutch but dies after about 10 seconds. I can't get any acceleration with the throttle.

Thanks a million,

-- marybodacious

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
the little filter screen on the petcock in that is screwed into the bottom of the tank may be full of dirt from the inside of the tank,,,try taking the fuel lione off at the carb. and turn on the fuel valae at the tank and blow back through the line,and listen for air escaping at the cap (not bubbles ,attual air comming from the cap) ,,,if you don't get air the cap is not venting and you will need to find out why not,It needs to vent for the fuel too go down the tube,,If you get air then you may need to dis-assemble the tank and clean it out to keep the screen from stopping up

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
get an Inline "PAPER" Filter possibly at the lawn mower part of the store,(hardware,wal-mart,lawn mower repair place,etc)

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
really corgi? blow thru a full tank of gas and see if you can hear air escaping out the cap?

a much easier way (and safer, and less likely to get a mouth and faceful of gas) is to unscrew the cap and see if it runs. if it does, screw the cap back on and see if it dies.

make sure both of your petcocks are open. most motors now have one at the carb. if yours doesn't, then there's just the one at the tank. the lever points in the direction of fuel flow. like if it's inline with your fuel line, it should be flowing.

if there's no fuel in the line with the petcock open, the filter's probably clogged from the crap left in the tank.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
OMG,your right ,I would have just put my thumb over it automatically,and I didn't even think to put that in the directions,I'm sorry,and opening the cap first to see if flow would resume is the way to start,I am guessing the new motors out now have a better carb (as in shutoff at the carb) ?

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
Sounds exactly like the problem I had. In my case, the tank cap wouldnt vent. I cut 2 notches in the gasket with a razor blade. I can post a pic, to clarify. There are a few ways to fix it, this was my method and might not be everyone's choice. Another way I considered was to find a way to depress the spring in the cap further with a shim or something.

marybodacious

Jul 25, 2010
Massachusetts
Thanks so much for your input, all of you. I did troubleshoot according to your suggestions:

I did have plenty of fuel in the tank.
The fuel petcock filter was not clogged.
There is no secondary fuel valve on the carburetor.
The tank and fuel lines are venting properly.

I will attempt next to adjust the idle screw etc. (which I did already, so I don't know why that would become a problem all of a sudden); if that doesn't work I'll try adjusting the e-clip/needle position in the carburetor ...

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again, and whoever provides the effective solution wins a prize (a $10 gift certificate/card or a free t-shirt from Patriot T-Shirts ) !

Gratefully yours,

marybodacious

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
10 seconds of runtime at about 22 ft/sec is 220 ft or 73 yards. Is the choke rattling closed? I fixed that one by taking a piece of fuel line and sliding it over the choke lever to get some friction.

You say you have tank venting, but have you tried cracking the tank cap when it starts to die?

Do you have any oil leaking from the bottom of the case?