Don't kill your airconditioner

GoldenMotor.com

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Here's an attempt to help you guys out with your a/c units this summer.

Everyday I see why most peoples a/c unit have taken a dump, NEGLECT!!
Here are some friendly tips I have for you so you will be cool and comfy after those nice long hot rides on your MB. Service calls will empty your wallet quickly
1. CHANGE YOUR FURNACE FILTER EVERY MONTH.
Make sure it is the right size and you have it in correctly.
The indoor cooling coil is usually a P.I.T.A. to clean once your filter changing habits have been neglected even after a short amount of time. Chances are your blower wheel and motor have filthed up too.

2. CLEAN THE OUTDOOR CONDENSER COIL. A garden hose will do the job. Turn off the outdoor unit at the service disconnect or circuit breaker. Unscrew the top lid with fan and hose the condenser coil from the INSIDE OUT. Don't get water into the electrical compartment bone head.
Stop blowing lawn clippings into the unit. Be careful with weed wackers around refrigerant lines and low and high voltage wires feeding the unit. Scold your lawn service if they do.

3. FLUSH YOUR CONDENSATION DRAIN OUT ON THE INDOOR A/C COIL.
It's the PVC or copper drain going to your sump pump, utility sink or condensate pump near you furnace or air handler on heat pump units.
When these drains clog , your indoor unit will dump up to 10 gallons per day of condensation run-off all over your floor after it drips all through your furnace or air handler.
If it's in the attic it will ruin your ceiling.
Give me your specifics and I'll tell you how to do it.

4. IF YOU'VE NEVER HAD YOUR A/C SYSTEM CHECKED HAVE A PROFESSIONAL
CHECK YOUR REFRIGERANT LEVEL WITH GAUGES AND APPROPRIATE CHARGING EQUIPMENT.
Undercharged or overcharged refrigerant levels cost you money by inadequate cooling or possible equipment damage.

5.CLEAN YOUR RETURN AIR GRILLS IN YOUR HOUSE. I don't care how, use a brush, vacuum cleaner whatever. If they've been painted over a thousand times take them off and replace them. If the system can't breathe in, it sure as heck can't blow out.

6. MOVE THAT PILE OF **** SITTING IN FRONT OF YOUR AIR VENTS.
Re-arrange your furniture if you have to to let that air blow out of the vents. Nobody needs a nice cool desk or book case, or laundry basket!!

7. DON'T TRY TO UPGRADE AND REWIRE YOUR OWN THERMOSTAT UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE DOING. ESPECIALLY HEAT PUMPS !!

Too many people screw this up and wire it wrong ,then burn up the 24 volt transformer $$$$

8. IF YOU SUSPECT SOMETHING IS WRONG HAVE IT CHECKED, DON'T KEEP RUNNING IT. Don't keep resetting tripped circuit breakers . Don't let a frozen up unit keep running, turn it off, It's low on refrig. or has an air flow problem.

I HAVE OVER 23 YEARS EXPERIENCE AND MY ADVICE GOOD OR BAD IS FREE.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tim,
All very good advice. If I could add anything it would be to advise against letting shrubbery grow to block good air flow through the condenser. That includes the air discharge side/end of it. I've seen those poor things surrounded by foliage to the point that a service tech needs a machete to get to them and the machine recircing its own air. High Head pressures caused by restricted air flow causes high amp draw and higher utility bills, not to mention the abuse of the compressor/ condenser fan motor/s. If you want to hide the condensing unit keep the greenery a few feet from the machine and don't let it grow up against the coil or air outlet.
Just in case some of you don't know...Tim's avatar is a set or refrigeration guages; essential tool for diagnosing air conditioning/refrigeration system performance. The man knows what he's talking about.
Tom

Last edited: