help

GoldenMotor.com

smileymale

Jul 18, 2010
oshawa
Ok i been tryin to get the rear sprocket not to wobble so much broken one bolt from over tightening it does anyone have any ideas on what is 2 tight or 2 lose i was thinking of using a torque wrench

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Once you get the bolts tight no amount of tightening a particular bolt is going to correct an out of true issue. At this point loosen all the bolts till you can jostle it straight again. Care has to be taken to [slowly with observation] tighten the bolts in a star pattern. Always going to the next bolt across at the opposite side.

Do not tighten bolts individually very much at at time as you will go backwards of being productive. Do them a half to whole turn depending at witch stage of tight your are at. Whole turns in the begging then pay attention to orientation of how true the sprocket is. Give things a tap one way or the other then go half turns.

Torque should be around about 10 foot pounds when finished. 9 bolts collectively come to a total of 90 foot pounds of combined fasteners more than enough to do the job

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good advice, Goat.
I would add that occasionally the sprocket can be warped and no amount of tightening, tapping or eyeballing will fix it. It the wobble is horizontal to the axle and you can see the wobble especially out at the teeth of the sprocket, then it might have a warp. I've successfully straightened those with a large Cresent wrench. Some have had luck with a hammer and a known flat surface.
If, however the wobble is vertical (up and down when viewed from the side), that indicates that the sprocket is not exactly centered on the hub. This process takes time and patients but it can be done using Goat Herder's advice. Get it as close to perfect as you can to assure proper chain/sprocket operation. This can require loosening and retightening of the bolts and tapping with a rubber mallet or use a block of wood against the sprocket teeth. Proper torque for this assembly is to tighten until the lock washers are flat, then just a very little bit more. Anything over that and you're asking for fastener failure.
Tom