good stuff for our shelter friends

GoldenMotor.com

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
deacon thats great and really strange about a month ago i took in a 5 yr old chocolate lab he had been in and out of the shelter for 1 and1/2 years he is a handfull but is starting to mellow, ya gotta think about this we bring these critters into this place and then obandem them, ya i know i mispelled that, adopt if you can, we feed 3 or 4 stay cats not to mention the skunks and bears, they dont bother us their just looking for something to eat and maybe a kind word, i salute you deacon i think you are a kind and gentle soul, frank

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Deacon,
Feeding shelter pets for free ... always a great idea! Hope everyone clicks on both the dogs and the cats trivia so both get fed. There's a daily reminder link too so that it's easy to feed the pets everyday. Thanks for sharing the link. (^)

kicking

Apr 11, 2010
mississippi
Letters For Pets
Freekibble
shameless plug for Roxie's friends. Rosie= my shelter dog
with the economy and the loss of unemployment funds by many states , people cant do much anymore . People are starting to panic and are raiding the grocery stores in many states . I went down to the coast and threw my self on the mercy of at least forty ship captains to see if they could hire me just for one days pay . Ship after ship left the docks today with mostly the captains and their families ; even their mothers and fathers on board. I was there at 4:30 a.m and I just got home at 3:06 p.m. with no luck . But I did send an letter though deacon ! I feel like I have done something . And it did not hurt my fingers to do so. Thank you deacon ! and I will keep my fingers crossed !

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
When we got roxie at the shelter I put a picture of her on line. I got an instant message from a friend who said in huge letters.;... FEED THAT PUPPY NOW... We did of course, She ate grubs in my yard for a few days even though we fed her. I have no idea how she learned to dig for them. I guess she was the daughter of a feral Mother. I know she was terrified of the broom at first but all that passed.

Now she is afraid of lighten and fireworks which isn't all that unusual. She throws up easily probably from her early days but she is my wife's best friend. Maybe better than me since she never set fire to the house with a welder.

Dixie on the other hand was rescued from the streets by my daughter who married a man who does not like dogs (spit) but otherwise he is a good guy. I took the dog after my wife came home and told me how miserable she was living with them. She said everything dixie did he hollered at her. My daughter asked me to take dixie to the shelter but I never even considered. Dixie peed on the floor the first time I raised my voice at her it was the last time I did for a long time. Now I raise my voice when she barks and I can see her smile and keep right on barking. She has me figured out. No bite at all.

Dixie is really laid back now. She has her own 20 by 10 yard where she spends the day laying under her bush in the shade or in her doghouse. She was skinny when I took her in but now she is solid. Dixie wasn't my choice for a dog but I refuse to let the be treated as a step dog. So now she is my dog and roxie is mama's dog.

Just thought I let you know where I'm coming from.

The first dog my wife and I had was a male mixed breed named max. He is the yardstick for every dog we have now. So max was cremated and has a place over the tv. Yeah that a little weird but he does come to visit not and then in the right light when I turn real fast.

Oh yeah they both bark at the mail man and the ups man and he goes away. Talk about a hard habit to break it has it's own positive reinforcement. They bark he leaves what more is there for them to do.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
in Vietnam the locals did eat puppies.... I doubt that they do here, our culture is a lot different. Then again some of our citizens fight dogs. I wonder which group goes to the lower level of dante's place.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
We had incidents a few years back,I guess the police and judge explained it to them.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
Out "yardsailin" today and saw a plaque that said:
"A House is not a Home without a Dog".
I certainly share that sentiment!
(Of course, "Pet" could be substituted for "Dog"
and the plaque would still get my vote.)
Let's hear it for critters! (^)