Rail bike conversion finally finished w/pics

GoldenMotor.com

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Had a thought. What if the front MB wheel is suspended between two rail wheels, spaced far enough apart so that the bars could not be turned? Rear wheel in direct contact with the rail would/could only follow. Would take some getting used to and would be high when taking off on track alone but could be done easily from where a road crosses.

If it could work, could be mounted so it swung up and out of the way for road use.

What do you guys think?
I'm thinking a dedicated four roller machine is in order after checking out your AZ abandoned RR links. Throw a couple of them in the back of the ruck and head north to the pines.

I'd like a nice bucket seat and a cooler for lunch and beverages.

I'm completely serious. .shft.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Their are videos like that on youtube and the 4 of them were having a blast on it and yes they had a cooler. If I lived closer to the abandoned railway I would build one with a nice comfy chair, cooler and a small bbq for those evening barbecues as well as a fold down top lol.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
LMAO no doubt but damn, haven't even test ridden this project and I already want to build a 2 or 4 seater rail car already hmmm maybe next winter's project all aluminum and a briggs 4 stroke for fuel efficiency AND a disc brake maybe? Getting the spidy senses tingling lol.

shadowsaidhe

Apr 15, 2010
maine
It looks like a very nice job. But the physics are wrong - you can't secure a triangle on one point, it takes a min of two(i would suggest all three). your outrigger needs a inside side roller. And because a bicycle is articulated if you lean at all you will change the tracking of the rear wheel. Like i said it you did really nice work on what you have. Just my opinion. The idea sounds like great fun i wish you the best of luck. - - - Have A Pleasant Day

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I have watched videos with the exact same(with the exception of poles and not cables) design with people riding them and they had no inside wheel on the outrigger, Just my opinion also. We will find out soon if it works.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Never doubting you Shadow Buddy but there is an actual manufacturer of some thing similar to Mountain's design. (Not as well made or designed) Vids on youtube show it works. I was thunking the same as you about the out rigger thing. Just seemed wrong but seems to work. But this is the fun. If we all live, then we can write about it. Snork

After work, then working on the HF prototype (16 hrs so could be all wrong and asking for opinions) A bolt on clam for the front wheel with a roller guide to stare the front forks? I am thunking a bolt on thing like 2 clams. Like a parking violation boot and a free floating guide forward of that. (I am gonna make one out of wood and a boat trailer roller to see if it works. Vids or certificate of stupid to follow)

Next we have to think of a funny acronym for MBer's on rails. Go for it. Ya know some one is gonna come up with some thing really funny

.flg.