9 bolt adapter for 36 spoke wheel - what about 32 spoke wheels?

GoldenMotor.com

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Title says it all - will a 9 bolt rear wheel sprocket mount fit a 32 spoke wheel? What's a better option? I know about the Manic Mechanic adapter but the rear hub is stepped and that won't fit. The LiveFastMotors small adapter doesn't look like a fit either, but I haven't totally ruled that one out.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Title says it all - will a 9 bolt rear wheel sprocket mount fit a 32 spoke wheel? What's a better option? I know about the Manic Mechanic adapter but the rear hub is stepped and that won't fit. The LiveFastMotors small adapter doesn't look like a fit either, but I haven't totally ruled that one out.
kallsop,

It really depends on the exact shape of the hub...contact gareth here on the forum...I did a 32 spoke adapter for him that just did fit in the step. Yours may be the same!

Jim

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Gareth was kind enough to send me a picture of his hub:
Pulstar hub

This is my Diamondback hub:
Diamondback

Not the same, but some similarity. With a cheap HarborrFreight caliper, I measured the smallest part of the Diamondback hub 1.0675", and where it first steps up, 1.221". Is that close to the Pulstar dimensions? Any hope for a clamshell adapter? No doubt I'd really like one.

The build is going to be the HarborFreight 80cc 2.5hp rack mounted, home made aluminum rack, Bulletlines TAV2 clone CVT, jackshaft with about a factor of 2 reduction. The CVT has a 10 tooth sprocket. The rear wheel sprocket would be 56 teeth if I use a 2:1 jackshaft, but instead I'll probably go down to a 44 or 48 rear and adjust the jackshaft ratio accordingly.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Gareth was kind enough to send me a picture of his hub:
Pulstar hub

This is my Diamondback hub:
Diamondback

Not the same, but some similarity. With a cheap HarborrFreight caliper, I measured the smallest part of the Diamondback hub 1.0675", and where it first steps up, 1.221". Is that close to the Pulstar dimensions? Any hope for a clamshell adapter? No doubt I'd really like one.

The build is going to be the HarborFreight 80cc 2.5hp rack mounted, home made aluminum rack, Bulletlines TAV2 clone CVT, jackshaft with about a factor of 2 reduction. The CVT has a 10 tooth sprocket. The rear wheel sprocket would be 56 teeth if I use a 2:1 jackshaft, but instead I'll probably go down to a 44 or 48 rear and adjust the jackshaft ratio accordingly.
Yes,

My sprocket adapter will work on your hub.

Jim

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
That's great news. I'll double check the measurement and if not too busy at work, will call tomorrow (Friday).

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Jim,

Any news on ETA for the adapter and the rest of the order? I now have all the bike parts ordered and most all delivered for the Diamondback build.

Thanks for your service.
Keith.

kallsop

May 2, 2009
CT US
Your parts will ship soon!
How soon?

On a separate subject, what happened to the clutch arm replacement product you once sold? It doesn't appear on your web site now. My clutch arm has lost its dowel again and pulls up and out of the cover. It's not the first time this has happened.