Clutch Wire problems

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
The clutch wire is giving me so many problems. I thought I may have cut my clutch wire too short because when I turned the handlebars to the right (the clutch is on the left), the clutch arm would pull in. But when I add more slack to the clutch wire (by pulling extra wire through the brass pin that goes into the clutch arm), I can depress the handle all the way without the clutch arm moving at all. Anyone know what's up?

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Not to sure of your description but could you have cut the black outer cable to short or if im getting what your saying if you turn right and it pulls the arm in you must have the cable wired around the front bars abit backwards?

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
I had to replace my clutch cable and housing and i replaced it with a pre streched high quality bmx break cable. it works real good

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I can't for the life of me figure out how long the housing is supposed to be relative to the length of the wire.
Just forget the wire for a moment pull it out and set it aside, put the one end of the housing in the handle bar lever then run it around the front of the bike with enough room to turn left and right then down the diagonal tube to the clutch keeper on the motor. cut it.
lube the wire and slide it through the housing and fit it up.

With the excess wire you can cut it a few inches past the brass lock nut or roll it in a tight circle overlap the end a few times and even zip tie it up.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
Why dont you put it all together & get it working first & then cut off the extra wire????????? :rolleyes:
Stupid misleading chinese instructions...

Just forget the wire for a moment pull it out and set it aside, put the one end of the housing in the handle bar lever then run it around the front of the bike with enough room to turn left and right then down the diagonal tube to the clutch keeper on the motor. cut it.
lube the wire and slide it through the housing and fit it up.

With the excess wire you can cut it a few inches past the brass lock nut or roll it in a tight circle overlap the end a few times and even zip tie it up.
That's where I went wrong.

I'm going to the bike store today to get another brake cable.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
OK, I got the clutch wire on, for those of you just tuning in, I had cut the housing shorter than the length between the clutch handle and the clutch keeper on the motor.

Next (LAST!!!) up is the chain, I'm just waiting on the chain breaker.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
OK, I got the clutch wire on, for those of you just tuning in, I had cut the housing shorter than the length between the clutch handle and the clutch keeper on the motor.

Next (LAST!!!) up is the chain, I'm just waiting on the chain breaker.
You dont need a chain breaker if you have a grinder that works great and will only take 3-4 minutes to get that chain apart, or just a good ole hammer and a good punch with the chain in the vise will also work i just file down the braded area of the link until flush and then use the hammer and punch and wala, 99% of the time I use a little 4 1/2" electric grinder with a 1/16" thick cut off wheel on it and it will slice the braded area off a chain in just seconds.

.bf.

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't have grinder and I tried using a nail and vice but I ended up shooting the nail across the workshop at a high velocity. I already ordered a chain tool anyway.