No engage no roll

GoldenMotor.com

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Hello,after walking 2+ miles through the "hood" of town I thought I'd see if I could get any help here before I go mess with the motor.I'm running a stock 66cc with a centrifugal clutch (automatic) and pull start.I was just riding down the street at 25+ mph then all I hear is VROOOOOOOOOM as if the bike is running full idle.I got off checked my clutch cable still good,messed with the clutch arm nothing,my bike rolls freely with the clutch engaged and disengaged..My motor starts right up with no problems,no noise but it won't scoot along.So I'm thinking it has something to do with the centrifugal? What should I check/do? Thank you.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Did u look in the clutch cover yet? ,,,,,,'' FIRST'' check if the centrivical clutch is bolted on ,so it dosnt fly off'',,,,,,,,if so ,start the engine and see what turns w/the engine

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Did u look in the clutch cover yet? ,,,,,,'' FIRST'' check if the centrivical clutch is bolted on ,so it dosnt fly off'',,,,,,,,if so ,start the engine and see what turns w/the engine
Took the clutch cover off gear spins freely both ways.I took the CC cover off the centrifugal is bolted on and it spins with finger force both ways.Clutch pulled or not pulled,my bike still moves freely.Seems as something is not "catching" maybe the clutch pads? Flower nut? I have no clue.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
from the back wheel When u roll the bike ,the chain turns the clutch shaft on the right,that shaft goes through too the main clutch on the left ,,the gear teeth on the main clutch mesh with the teeth on the centrivical clutch drum toward the front of the bike(motor),,,the clutch shoes (pie shaped things) turn when the engine is running,,,,"start" the engine and see if they are turning ,,"and",,," do they grip the clutch drum when u speed up the engine???

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The words,,,,spins freely by finger clutch pulled or not pulled ,,I read over that again and I would check the flower nut and clutch pads ,,,Also check the sproket at the clutch arm for loose

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
The clutch looked like it was turning ,,,I think the next step will be to remove the clutch and check in the flower nut area under the next cover

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
The clutch looked like it was turning ,,,I think the next step will be to remove the clutch and check in the flower nut area under the next cover
Yes the clutch pads are slipping.Thank you for your kind help Corgi.This is going to be a little off topic here sorry.I really don't have the time,money or tools to mess with the motor,I've invested way to much money into trying to get a decent built MB but have failed.I just bought the engine for $150 two months ago lol!I hate to say it here but I'm done with these china motors as much as I enjoy the hobby,I just can't afford no more.I'm gonna offer and let go of the two motors I have witch are both black 66cc's the other one needs a new piston.If someone wants these you can have both motors/intakes for $75+shipping?

I appreciate your help Corgi thanks man.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
You could probibly use the clurch parts from the bad piston motor to fix this one lots of times they are the same

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yea, dont give up on the little girls.....just do like VMB said and make a good one out of the 2 and you will have a good little engine again, there are plenty of people out here that will be more than willing to help you by walking you through each step of the proccess the best they can, hey I'm new to these little engines and yes they can be a challenge in some areas but what fun it is to ride and sing a motor biking song tonight....!LOL these motors are cheap to get and cheap to keep up once you get the bugs out of them and learn a few tricks on your own and from others that have already resolved many of the issues we all face with these little gals.....they can be fun and sweet but just like the real thing they can be hard nose and sassy at times as well but hey, that just keeps it fun and interesting. come on man just build you one out of two and keep on biking with us......God Bless

.shft. dnut :-|| .bf. dance1

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I'd love to rebuild from the two I have and probably wouldn't take much time.I've been messing with these kits for a year now with $1000+ on bikes,kits etc.This is embarrassing to say,I literally have gotten no where other than learning a great deal of wrenching,patience and the fun to be here around everyone :D Heck I'm turning 18 soon,have three months to figure me a place to live,of course I'm gonna need a MB for transportation and a place to sit down at night.

Alright if someone wouldn't mind explaining,how do I get to the clutch pads to clean them? I don't think I have a wrench to remove the flower nut. Thanks guys

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I removed the clutch cover to remove the chain,the gear sprocket on the drive side spins freely forward and backward while turning it by hand.I'm assuming the star nut needs adjusted? I don't want to proceed further without knowing..Please help,Thanks.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I just found this on new post.............................,,,
#1 (permalink) Today, 07:10 PM
exavid
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member Join Date: Dec 2009

Pedalled home today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 140 miles I had my first failure on my two stroke rig. I was just topping out a long uphill pull when the bike just coasted to a stop with the engine still running. I shut it down and decided to pedal it back home, mostly downhill anyway. I kept the speed slow on the downhill run because the engine chain was making odd noises. To make a long story shorter I found the drive sprocket's nut loose and the woodruff key missing allowing the sprocket to spin on the shaft. Unfortunately with the open bottom of the drive area the old key was missing so I couldn't see what happened to it. Surprised me since I checked the sprocket nut about 40 miles ago and it was tight. Anyhow Ace Hardware had woodruff keys and a little grinding and filing made one fit so the bike's back together again.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I'm trying to remove the cover on the right side of the motor (centrifugal clutch cover) However after 5 minutes of damaging the gasket material trying to remove the cover plate,I found there are three screws holding the whole cover on,the screws are located behind the centrifugal but of course there is no way of getting to these screws.How do I go about removing this darn cover?

Update:OK so the cover cracked at the top even when being gentle trying to remove the plate.Can't afford to replace the crap quality,I'm done with the China Motors time to move on! Thank you for the help. Please delete this thread,thanks.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm trying to remove the cover on the right side of the motor (centrifugal clutch cover) However after 5 minutes of damaging the gasket material trying to remove the cover plate,I found there are three screws holding the whole cover on,the screws are located behind the centrifugal but of course there is no way of getting to these screws.How do I go about removing this darn cover?

Update:OK so the cover cracked at the top even when being gentle trying to remove the plate.Can't afford to replace the crap quality,I'm done with the China Motors time to move on! Thank you for the help. Please delete this thread,thanks.
Sorry to hear about the troubles and understand where you are in drawing the line at 'enough'. My own line might be a bit further, but we should all have a line in the sand. I've been following this since I have two automatics like yours, probably from the same seller, so it could happen to me. For that reason and for others out there I would hope the thread can be archived for reference. Sounds like the woodruff key is the answer. Hope I can remember that when and if I need to. I like the automatics and want to keep mine running for as long as I can. Good luck in your future endeavors. The cover plate crack could possibly be soldered with aluminum (alumirod I think it's called.)
SB

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Thanks Silver.I agree this would be a good reference for someone that might run into this problem.In that case,how might one remove the centrifugal/gear cover and not damage the cover such as I did? There are two small bolts hidden underneath the centrifugal securing the cover to the backside,I have no clue how to get to these bolts for removal.Does anyone know?