Key Ignition theft prevention

GoldenMotor.com

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
Hay I had just finished my bike. And i was starting to look into theft prevention dose anyone know how to install a key igniton or a key switch so only the person has a key can start it. And has anyone done this Also Do you have any tips on theft prevention for me?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Even if you have a key ignition switch on it, someone can still just hop on it & pedal it away!! So why not just keep a lock with you & not worry about the ignition switch? This will also keep the bike simpler with less parts that can break & leave you stranded. (Just my humble opinion... ) ;)

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
Even if you have a key ignition switch on it, someone can still just hop on it & pedal it away!! So why not just keep a lock with you & not worry about the ignition switch? This will also keep the bike simpler with less parts that can break & leave you stranded. (Just my humble opinion... ) ;)
Venice, Absolutely you are correct! Someone can literally throw it into the bed of a pickup truck.
I don't think they would be deterred by a ignition switch!

OrangeBrian

Jun 30, 2009
hawaii
well i do have a newyork lock from kryptonite and i am using it its just i dont want any dumb@$$ try to start it. Also dose Anyone know where i can buy a gas cap that locks?

kahnowerh

Oct 26, 2009
Washington, District of Columbia
You can't start it if you can't pedal it (unless it's a pull-start). So locking it up will prevent that pretty well.

Also, it wouldn't be hard to hot-wire one of these. I could do it without tools.

And these bikes are pretty theft-retardant. They attract on-lookers, and the more on-lookers the less likely someone will mess with it. That's what I've observed at least.

I did get a motion-detecting bike alarm just to make someone jump if they touch it.
I worry more about people that don't mean to do harm fiddling with it, and a loud alarm will make someone that isn't stealing it stop.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
I put a keyed ignition on the Andian because I bought a different tank and it had a cap with a lock. It's basically a Honda Rebel lock system. I wired in my switch because I wanted to have one. I didn't use the kill switch so I hooked up a 12 volt horn to it. The key sets it apart and I'm probably the only guy in Florida with an ignition switch on his bicycle. :D

Attachments

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
is it posable to hook up a little starting moter and 12 v battery with a key start?>
ANYTHING is possible. The big gear is directly connected to the crankshaft so you COULD drive that with a starter OR, you could use a motor/generator assembly like many lawn mowers that would replenish the battery AND start the engine. But now you're getting into adding a lot of wieght and complexity when currently, you only have to let out the clutch to start it.