Grandkids germs

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Quite a few of us are old enough to have grandkids. And I know this is something we all have dealt with. However for that one of you who hasn't experienced the full gambit of kids viruses going around continually, let me say this. If the grandkid is sick and needs comforting, that is what parents are for, If we do it, we are going to catch some things that will make us really sick.

I have two grandsons, One is in kindergarten, one is under a year old, and their mother drives an ambulance. If any one of them catches the latest bug, it make the rounds of the whole family. I try to avoid them when they are sick, but I got tagged this weekend. Two weeks ago a truly miserable virus went around the family, but I didn't get it.

After two weeks I thought it would be safe to pick up the little fellow. Wrong... I finally got the latest one making the family circuit . I won't go into details. It suffices to say, I had no idea water could flow from there like a faucet. Between that and trying to decide which end to hang over the toilet at any given time, it was a pretty miserable night. Being a GRANDPA is not supposed to have so large a downside. So be careful out there guys.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I can never avoid the latest bug going around...I live with my daughter and her family ;)
seems like I have something the whole time school is in, the kids get well and grampa stays sick

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Aww, the darkside of close family ties ;)

As an isolationist - I usually spare myself the majority of plagues as they make their rounds... there are leaky young'uns in the house now and I fear to tread my own living room. One's old 'nuff for kindergarten and she insists on bringing every known cough & sniffle back home for show and tell o_O

My immune system isn't nearly 'nuff to deal with this onslaught - I hide a lot :D

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
hahaha deac....funny.
whenever megan's 20 month-old nephew from Michigan visits, by no coincidence our (normally healthy) entire house gets ill.
we affectionately refer to him as "patient zero" :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I like that patient one... I call my daughter's place the pestilence house. The thing that is making it worse with the second one, is that my son=in=law moved his part time business to full time and now he has the kids with him. My wife helps out when he gets busy. She is always exposed and i can't hide from her.

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
I feel for you, Deacon. I really do. That really hurts in all the wrong places. 8( I shake when the wife comes home and announces, "YOUR daughter has another GI bug." Don't help the wife works at her school. At times, it's a double whammy. :-||

I get everything my daughter brings home from school. Heck, I even got the swine bug and then some this past Summer. Layed up 3 weeks ending with bronchitis. Now we got this 2 yr. old foster boy who's sickly. Darned kid gets sick everyother week and passes it on to me. Ready to tell the Doc to just shove a tube up my nose so I can breath past all the congestion. Thank goodness for the Netty Pot. LOL

Just in case you wonder, I'm 57. I thought I was done with all this 10 years ago. dance1 Everybody always say that kids keep you young. Bullshirt! .duh. I wanna be a couch potato. I don't wanna take the kid out for a walk or a run at the park. I wanna go ride my bike when I want to without all the production. I wanna go to McD's and get something really bad for me without having to share it and get kid spit all over the bun or backwash in my soft drink. I wanna be able to eat a piece of cake or pie without having to hide it or wait till the kids are in bed. Hence, my user name. laff

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is the second day. I spent the last 24 hours in a floating coma. Sleep dead for a few hours wake up and walk down stairs. Get so tired climbing the stairs its back to bed for another four hours. then its the same thing over again. I hope that tomorrow it is gone. If not I may have to do something like ban the kids from the house. Get one of those ultraviolet germ rooms where you walk in naked and everything gets zapped. Then make everyone wear paper suits and masks. The one who is 9 months might have a problem with the mask but what the heck I can always staple it on.

Homer

Apr 20, 2009
SW Houston
I turn 50 this yr and reading this made think back over the last yr and every time I was sick was because I had been with the grankids that week. Thanks for sharing, and I believe that this is how will handle my grankid when there around.

Homer

Attachments