grubee quality?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's what i was joking around about, posts like the one above.

i could link posts all day long from every motor kit, every bicycle, every tire, shoe, helmet, wife, cop, or whatever it is people are having problems with.

the end result is, "you pays yer money, you takes yer chances."

i've got three Grubees, and none of them have disappointed me yet. they run excellent. i've never tried another motor, so i can't compare, but you asked about their quality, and i'm giving you my opinion, from my experience. i'm not trying to dissuade you or talk you into any other motor, because in the end, i don't really care what kind you get. it's not like i bought stock in grubee inc...

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Soo in reality unless you build the motor yourself.
Or have a good engine builder do it for you.

You really don't know what your gonna get.

No matter what kit you buy.

Gareth

Dec 8, 2009
Floriduh
You really don't know what your gonna get.

No matter what kit you buy.
Sure you do. You know you are going to get a cheap slapped together Chinese 2 stroke engine that should be gone through by you to have a chance at performing up to your meager expectations.....no matter what kit you buy.

=-)

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
Naa no need to compete in any fasion.
No need to get the thread locked.

In fact if we all worked together......." JUST IMAGINE HOW FAR AHEAD OF THE GAME WE'D BE ".

We all are here for the same reason.
We build and ride Motor Bikes.
We all enjoy the hobby.

Everyone has an opinion and i think just soo long as it is expressed Civilly there is no need for argument.

Arguing is non productive

Working together to achieve the same goal.

Very Very Productive.
Hallelujah... My points exactly!

Justin

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
good GAWD make it stop

this thread was originally for the OP to get comments re: for/against grubee motorkits. a few of us answered. and answered about just that.
now its getting muddy. i'd venture to say this thread has run out of steam and is going nowhere fast

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
Well back on track I love my 48cc skyhawk pico wingding! there unique, so special and hasnt blown up yet!

Bring back the mountain bike v cruise and 2 v 4 strokes threads!!!

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
Ive bought 3 engines so far....The first was a 66 grubee....best motor yet....second was a 49cc...new style slant steel sleeved intakeless motor of unknown liniage.....came with a stripped head stud and a carb float with a hole....fixed all that...and it ran with lots of vibration....third motor was another grubee 66cc that had a few problems...nothing major....it just doesent put out like the first one.....some vibration so it doesent achive the revs that my first motor did......so in the end i agree with whoever said that it the luck of the draw if you get a real good performer out of the box...(.a well balanced cranck?).....That said id still probly go with a grubee....if for no other reason that my first one was a winner and i like the fasteners it comes with......although Ive heard nothing but good things about dax's motors and one of the few guys around here that drives daily runs a dax and swears by it and dax.....Sooooo...What im saying is im sure I don't know....just buy a motor from a reputible dealer...grubee or dax or wherever....take a chance come back here and well help you get it running as well as it can.....good luck......ALOHA..........J

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Other than riding position and looks whats the difference.

I give props to thoose out there that build there own frames.
You guys are awsem.
I wish i had the equipment to build my own frames.

How about a custom frame vs store bought thread?

I think that would be far more interesting.

ryan 14

Jul 17, 2009
zoo town, mt
i only have one bike and its a 2 stroke grubee skyhawk, they are decent motors, if you get one make sure you dont let your dad help. (p.s. im 14 so its not too weird) he messed up my exaust manifold, if price is not a issue, i would recommend a morini. you can get them from pipeline. or i think their username is santa cruz something.

skipu

Aug 6, 2008
New jersey
im in the market to buy an engine and have been looking around quite a bit...seems like everyone is selling them and its a bit confusing...i want a quality kit as this is my first build and want minimal problems(that i dont create )im looking at the skyhawk....i see the ads that this is the "rolls royce" of engines,for you experienced builders...is this true?...any bad exp. with grubee in general?..thanks for any info.
i have 1 grubee gt5 66 i like it but i have three other 2 lb7 from pirate running very good and one other one forget the make but in my experiences with all five motors are generally the same except some have better castings /bearings cylinder plating /intakes if you use stock stuff but i go through my motors thoroughly and reasemble them to make sure there are no flashing chips loose particles / parts shave head and profile piston just clean up ports a little you can get into modifications later just get a motor and bolt it up and have fun hope this helps peace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dnut

daledoo

Jan 16, 2010
West Palm Beach
I just got my 48 cc kit. I am confused of the clutch cable. How did you install it? If you take the lever on the engine, and pull it pointing toward the back, It does nothing to the engine to disengage it, it is still freeply loose? If I install the clutch cable as directed, it connects like that, But how does it do the disengae. Mine only stops the sproket from moving if I move it sticking out the side, moving forward. Wehn I move the sproket with my fingers, that makes it stop, if you move it toward the back, nothing at all. Any help would be appreciated. :-||

stv1jzgte

Feb 11, 2009
australia
I just got my 48 cc kit. I am confused of the clutch cable. How did you install it? If you take the lever on the engine, and pull it pointing toward the back, It does nothing to the engine to disengage it, it is still freeply loose? If I install the clutch cable as directed, it connects like that, But how does it do the disengae. Mine only stops the sproket from moving if I move it sticking out the side, moving forward. Wehn I move the sproket with my fingers, that makes it stop, if you move it toward the back, nothing at all. Any help would be appreciated. :-||
the clutch is disengaged by pulling the lever forward, if there is freeplay in the cable then it is engaged or in drive.

PoweredPedals

Nov 15, 2009
Sydney.Australia
Macattie,

It sure does seem like everyone favors there own motors. Lets just hope everyone throughly researched their motors before settling on one. I can tell you this from experience, I was extremely disappointed with the out of the box power that the grubee came with. These are one of the motors we tested and we sell on our site so this is not a favored opinion in any way. You asked about grubees so I'll tell you about grubees.

Consider some things before purchasing your kit. First being the style of bike you will be using, second the size of your down tube and top tube on your bike of choice, third the rear hub size. These are some things to consider when planning your build.
Also, what is end result you want to achieve.
Buy your bike around your kit or your kit around your bike. Its best to do it all at once from one vendor if you can. That way you can get set up correctly the first time and if you have a problem it can get taken care of quickly.

The 7 p's come into affect when building a proper MB..
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Production!
I don't mean that in a smart way either. Its the truth.

Don't buy a grubee if your gonna mount it on a large down tube beach cruiser. Buy a motor that fits your down tube. The less mods you have to do the better..

Don't buy a grubee if you are expecting it to pull power out of the box. It won't.

Theres lots of Internet propaganda surrounding the grubee motors. Grubee spent a good deal on advertising and sabotaging. Beware of what you read and see!! Don't buy a grubee because "they" say its the Rolls Royce of engines..

I hope this helps you on your quest to build a quality MB!!!
Good Luck,
Justin
Yes both of my Grubee motors were bit slow when I first installed them.They are a very tight motors when they are straight out of the box but after a few miles of running them in they perform extremely well once they are run in and that's they way they should be.I'd be a bit worried if a motor was loose straight out of the box.

It's very important to run any brand of motor very carefully.You can cause permanent damage if you don't run them in properly.

Last edited:

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
Ahh heck.
I run 2 taks through my newly built engines and then let her rip.

No problems here.
You only need to seat the rings.

Bottom line no matter how easy you take it all the metal dust and chips and dirt in the motors outta the box cause the most damage.
Running them in slow maybe allows the junk to go out the exhaust a little easier.

Every motor i own i have rebuilt out of the box before ever running.

If you want real quality you will have to wait for Pirate Cycles to release the high performance motor.
I think they have one coming.