How do I mount the chain gaurd?

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i mounted mine in the trash. it doesn't fit on my bike, wouldn't look good if it did, and i figure it's one more piece that could fall off.

my pant legs don't come near the chain, so i'm not too worried about it.

i know this doesn't help you at all, but i just like giving my opinion on stuff.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
there is a small tab on the front of the chain guard it attaches to the one long bolt on the clutch lever
cover where the long screws sticks out use a washer,lock washer, and 10mm nut.
the other end of the chain guard might need to be trimmed with tin snips or use a dremel cut off wheel to get it to fit. You will need to drill a hole for the back mount in the chain guard. there should be a strap with the engine kit that you can bend around the rear frame of the bike to strap the rear part of the chain guard. You will want to do the strap first getting to the shape you like then using the strap that is now shaped into a U shaped clamp line up the rear chain guard and drill a 1/4" dia hole using the strap as a guide for the hole. you will then put a bolt through the strap and chain guard use a washer and lock washer under the nut on the bolt.
this guard had to have some of the guard trimmed off the back end to fit.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I usually mount mine in the trash too!

I've only had 2 installs over the past year and a half that the chain guard actually fit well. If it doesn't fit right...it's just one more thing to cause trouble!

Normans description of "how-to-do-it" is correct. But don't fight it...if it won't go...pitch it.

Jim

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Mine's in the trash too.. i dont need it my legs never touch the chain.. and i've been riding over 6 months without one problem..

dance1

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I actually fit mine into my build... and the tab broke within 500 miles.

I really don't think it necessary and it's noisy as heck anyway - it's not in the trash, but it's also not on my bike :p

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Mounted on the wall as a reminder of doofus things to not attempt again?

Actually - it's just sittin' in a pile of scrap bits... I might be a bit of a hopeless packrat :p

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
funny, i thought after my post there'd be a bunch of replies about how great it was to have a chain guard. guess i'm not the only one who thinks it's a piece of garbage.

i wonder how much i'd save on shipping if they threw away the sprocket and related parts, chainguard, throttle tube and grips, masterlink, chain tensioner, hardware, sparkplug wire and boot, exhaust brackets, tank, clutch lever...

seriously, the way my builds are planned and going now, all i need is the motor, carb, pipe, throttle cable, chain and cdi. soon, i probably won't even need the carb and exhaust...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While we've disagreed before on other bits - I'm with ya on this'un lol

Actually I suspect a chainguard only contributes to chain neglect in this case - "out of sight, out of mind" and it is a heck of a lot easier to oil it and whatnot w/o that piece of noisy tin in the way...

Of course I'm also not likely to be wearin' bellbottoms anytime soon :D

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I don't like the chain guard that much is does vib and break but I've tangled with exposed parts before so I don't like to run with out some protection.
when the guard does break I go to the trouble of fixing them.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Mine's in the trash too. Along with the tensioner. However if you want to avoid losing the bottom 3" of your trousers and locking the back wheel you might consider a length of duct tape from left side gear cover to seat tube. Ask me how I know. :eek:

DonnnN

Jun 4, 2009
Singapore
Mine's in the trash too. Along with the tensioner. However if you want to avoid losing the bottom 3" of your trousers and locking the back wheel you might consider a length of duct tape from left side gear cover to seat tube. Ask me how I know. :eek:
Hmm why would you do that?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I wonder if his chain got hungry?
Chains will eat things fingers, pant legs,etc. Plus using duct tape is an American red neck repair. it won't rattle!!laff
Plus it's quickly replaceable Nascar repair.
When duct tape is no longer made the world will come to a screeching halt or fly apart I'm just not sure I wonder if in the year 2012 before dec30th is the day they stop making duct tape?????
I think I'll go put some duct tape on Rufus's feet it will make him dance!!!!

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
I ditched both the tensioner and the chain guard ASAP. I didn't have the tools to bend the tensioner and I couldn't see why my chain needed a guard if my regular chain didn't.

Mind_Reader7

May 1, 2010
Northam, Western Australia.
My bike ate my shoelace on the way to work. I was very confused when I arrived at work with only 1 shoelace.

I got a new chainguard today. So I'm taking my bike to the shop to have it checked out before I mount the motor again (the wheels don't seem to spin right).

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Geeeeze Guys, bare-#$%@! riding eh.?
Well...
I didn't have a choice or I'd be in a meat grinder. Here's what I did.

$13 for the metal. Had Alro Steel put a bend in the top edge for me for free. Used a 4" grinder and went at the metal to get my shape I measured out. I used 2 small "U" clamp brackets and used standoffs that threadded on I could screw into and VIOLA my mounting hardware all for under $15. (Vinyl lettering, silver & clearcoat extra.) 2- 1/4-20 stainless bolts and one more through the flat piece welded at the rear for structure stregnth. 3 bolts nuts & lock washers.
See pix, should clarify.
This is one "guys" approach. Chain doesn't chatter against it either. Using 2 additional homade guides for chain. Yup. Chain for DAYS. (& be smart, invest in an upgrade roller bearing chain tensioner)
Add locktite and yur good.

Hope this helps.
Robert

Attachments